• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Plate choke material, why to use amorphous core?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

-Interstage transformer or output transformer should deliver all frequency spectrum of sound. That is why, the core of it should be fit to high, mid and low frequency spectrum. For me understandable why people using amorphous cores.

-If i am not wrong, the reason of using a plate choke is to supply DC voltage to anode of the driver tube but meanwhile also to stop the flowing of the music signal (sound) to the positive polar. The inductance value of the choke transformer should be big enough to prevent flowings of very low frequencies (15-20 Hz and up) over the choke to the + polar of supply. What is the reason for using amorphous core transformer as choke inductor??? Ordinary silicon steel should work excellent. Am i wrong???

Thanks!

Seems to me the core material is where hysteresis and saturation
may affect a choke at low frequencies. Which material is better???
I don't know...

The technique of the windings is critical for the higher frequencies,
else there may be self resonant effects...

Suppose we just use big iron with simple windings, and wire a
gyrator in series with that to intercept the higher frequencies?

This would not really help with transformers, only chokes.

plate choke

Thanks. What is your point that, the foil should be low impedenced, if i am not wrong understand. Actualy i wondered if i can use high impedenced 50-60H plate choke (1500 Ohms DC resistance) and driver tube plate current is 60mA. Then voltage drop on the plate choke will be 90V. This will help me also for biasing output tube. Driver and output tube direct coupled and powersupply units are independend. If i use 1500ohm coil do you think it make oscillation or any other trouble?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.