• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Simple tube phono stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Phono preamps are among the most difficult of projects to execute. A suitable circuit is not sufficient. Great care in mechanical layout is a must too.

If you are adamant about building a tubed phono preamp, I suggest you look at the Bottlehead Corp. Seduction kit. You'd have reasonable prospects of a successful outcome.

Frankly, the K-12 isn't good enough to benefit from such a high quality source. The opamp based Hagerman Bugle is quite adequate as source for a K-12.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

If you're looking for a SS phono then why put you quest in the tube section?

Before you design or ask about a simple phone preamp_ they do exist_, why don't you tell us what your cartridge is, what the Zin of your amps is and how long the IC is you plan on using with it? And what you expect from the preamp?

Cheers, ;)

Personally, I'd build the Hagtech Cornet2. You can do it on the cheap if you're careful and the sound is amazing. It's also a very simple build as it's on a circuit board as opposed to point to point.

Just a warning though, purists don't consider a phono preamp on a circuit board to be a proper phono preamp. They believe for best sound it has to be P2P. Me? I love the Cornet2. The thing sounds simply amazing.

If you build the Cornet2 you won't need another phono preamp probably for a long time to come.

Good luck with your decision. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.