• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Zen Quad 22

Hi folks!

To complement my pair of Quad IIs (currently being restored), I decided to build a stripped down version of a Quad 22 pre-amp - what better design to partner the IIs? I know some mock the 22s sound, but I've always respected Peter Walker's designs, and - for nostalgia reasons more than anything else - I wish to build one for my Quad IIs.

This is a totally ground up design - I don't own a Quad 22 and won't shell out for one on Ebay as the prices are insane.

As mentioned, this will be a 'Zen' Quad 22 - I don't need the complicated switch-bank, or any of the balance/filter/tone controls. As most all of my sources provide 2V output I believe I am correct in thinking I can dispense with the EF86 stage of the circuit as well and have the sources go directly to the 500K volume control? (Got a nice stepped attenuator from China for this). The EF86 stage is present in the attached diagram, but I shall probably remove it for the next revision. Actually if you follow the original circuit diagram you can see that the Radio 2 bypasses the EF86 stage also and runs direct into the 500K pot.

As my Quad IIs use their original circuit values (apart from the dual section cap uprated to 2 x 32uF) I want to do the same with the 22 - no 'improvements', just stock values.

The problem I have at present - not being an expert in these matters - is how to imlement the required feedback to this circuit so it meets the Quad 22s original design? I know its feedback was part of the balance control section, but I have dispensed with this. Could some kind soul possibly draw onto the attached diagram the correct way to implement the required feedback?

The original diagram maybe found here: http://www.dc-daylight.ltd.uk/Valve-Audio-Interest/Schematics/QUAD-22-Schematic.pdf

Thanks so much!

- John

Attachments

• quad 22r.jpg
    quad 22r.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 316