• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Standby switch for Quad II?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!
If anyone here has any ideas where to put a "standby" switch on a Quad II, please reply to a novice.
The idea is to shut off everything (B+?), except the heater voltage to keep the valves warm.
I saw smth here with ICs etc. (Jukka Tolonen's), but I'd rather just have a simple switch.
Thanx,
Tom

If your aim is simply to allow th valves to warm up longer, then a simple switch could be used, although with an indirectly-heated rectifier it's not really worth it.

You must not leave the valves on with full heater voltage for long periods; this will cause cathode-poisoning.

If you wish to leave the valves on permanently, then they must be run at about 60% of the heater voltage (i.e. about 4v).

This means that a "simple switch" will not do.

7N7

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
SOFT START.

Hi,

This means that a "simple switch" will not do.

In a way a simple switch would do just fine, namely the ON/OFF switch.

Since the QIIs use the GZ32 valve rectifier it has a built in soft start, I can't really think of any reason why you'd want to change that.

What is your concern? Valve life? Warm up time?

Cheers,;)

Re: SOFT START.

fdegrove said:
Hi,

In a way a simple switch would do just fine, namely the ON/OFF switch.

Since the QIIs use the GZ32 valve rectifier it has a built in soft start, I can't really think of any reason why you'd want to change that.

Frank::scratch:

This is what I said in my message - in different words admittedly!

7N7

Thanx for the replies!
I mainly thought about extending the life of the valves and also to provide a soft-start every time I bring home a new batch of NOS GEC KT66s, of course ;)
Fdegrove, 7N7: would you please elaborate the built-in soft start in the Quad II using GZ32 (GZ34?)? How does that work?
Cheers,
Tom

Virtual Soft Start

Zombie said:
Thanx for the replies!
I mainly thought about extending the life of the valves and also to provide a soft-start every time I bring home a new batch of NOS GEC KT66s, of course ;)
Fdegrove, 7N7: would you please elaborate the built-in soft start in the Quad II using GZ32 (GZ34?)? How does that work?
Cheers,
Tom

Quad II is fitted with a rectifier valve. This is a GZ32, an indirectly-heated type. This rectifier takes perhaps 15 - 20 secs to warm up before it will pass current. The current increases as the valve warms up therefore a soft start is guaranteed.

Meanwhile all the other valves have been warming up too, and should have reached probably >80% of their operating temperatures, ergo no problem.

As I mentioned earlier, if you want to leave the valves idling, i.e. with heaters on but no HT, then you must arrange things so that they idle at about 60% of normal heater voltage.

7N7

7N7 said:

As I mentioned earlier, if you want to leave the valves idling, i.e. with heaters on but no HT, then you must arrange things so that they idle at about 60% of normal heater voltage.

7N7

If I remember rightly, (and I admit I'm desperately trying to remember a circuit I saw 20 years ago!) it is possible to have an idling voltage for the valves by placing a half-wave rectifier (a standard silicon rectifier) in the heater leads. So long as there is no cap smoothing, the rectifier will pass half cycles at RMS voltages only, so 3.15v x 1.414 = approx 4.5v, enough to keep the valves warm without risking cathode poisoning. Then a simple switch wired across the rectifier will give the normal/idling voltage control.

The explanation may not be brilliant but the use of a half wave rectifier as a 'voltage dropper' did enjoy some success in old AC/DC radios as it meant you could reduce heat by avoiding a resistor dropper in the heater leads. It has also been used as a method of having an idling voltage on soldering irons, to keep them warm in between use and reduce warm-up time.

Hi,

If I remember rightly, (and I admit I'm desperately trying to remember a circuit I saw 20 years ago!) it is possible to have an idling voltage for the valves by placing a half-wave rectifier (a standard silicon rectifier) in the heater leads.
Bournville, you may be thinking of the standard practice in the last days of valve TV's. Instead of big dropper restors, a silicon diode was fitted in series with the heater chain. In fact it gave 1/4 power (1/2V * 1/2I), and so saved on heat. The valves were actually run at full power, but there were savings in heat.
As for the Quad, I would leave it as it is. There is a good chance of doing more harm than good.

Cheers,

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
dhaen said:
There is a good chance of doing more harm than good.

Agreed. Standby is useful for pre-amplifiers, where small changes in valve characteristics are more significant, or in musician's amplifiers where the HT comes up with a bang, but you don't need it here. Surely, finding "a new batch of NOS GEC KT66" is a rare event anyway?

John,

It's a long time ago, but I have seen rectifiers used in this way - as droppers instead of resistors in the heater line on AC/DC sets and as standby on soldering irons - in a 6.3v line it will reduce the voltage to about 4.5 (so long as you don't try to smooth it!!) - you are right about the use in TVs also (easier than calculating the value of capacitor droppers!).

I personally would not use this system either, but it does provide a solution if Zombie wishes to go this route.

Thank you all for the wealth of wisdom!
I had this discussion with another Quad II owner yesterday. So I decided to turn to the people that know...I realize that it's better to leave it as it is...
EC8010: finding batches of NOS GEC KT66 isn't that a rare event, actually.
I slowly open a door and I see shelf after shelf with those greyish-blue, blue and yellow boxes...suddenly I wake up, breathing heavily, sweating...:bawling:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.