• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Varnish on old transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Guys
I just bought 2 240 volt to 110 Volt transformers so that I can run a balanced 240 V out to my equipment by connecting one winding of each to the other etc etc to get 240 V out.
These transfromers made by A and R australia in the 60's. Brand new as in I cracked the wooden crate and then removed the bitumised paper wrapper and the the other wrapper.. so in effect pristine.
My question is though that the varnish odour is quite strong... and I am wondering what the likelihood is that this varnish contains PCB's. It will be a pity to ditch them if they are as the balanced isolated AC works for my ears.
So do I worry and ditch them or just take a deep breath?
Thanks
Nick

Polychlorinated biphenyls Oil

PCB oil was used in chokes, transformers, and oil-capacitors - and it is very likely that ex-military purchases of sealed items of good valve amplifier utility will include this toxic material.

Even small caps down to 2uF/600V used it, and old-design flourescent lighting units also adopted oil caps of this kind. Air forces liked it particularly, since it's nonflammable.

The old black enamelled steel-enclosed trafos are usually well-made, and don't present much of a safety hazard, unless physically damaged.

Making sure they don't leak is the main precaution, so use a fuse on primary and secondary to be sure they don't overheat and spew oil from some rupture of the housing.

Don't landfill dud items of this kind, turn it in to a proper handling agent. Check the precautions for handling the event that leakage does occur:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/msa19.htm

the nature of the PCBs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polychlorinated_biphenyl

pcb's was used as a nonflammable replacement for hydrocarbon dielectric oil. It was not used in varnish or shellac. It was used in enclosed transformers and capacitors. It was not nor could it be used in open frame transformers.

The smell was probably napthane.

Nick

definitely not pcb

Hey there.
Being a civilian type step down unit, it is an open transformer in a steel case of course. The smell has dissipated greatly over the last few days but it certianly isnt what i would call a pleasant smell...
Hopefully it will have completely gone in the next few days.
Thanks for all the help
Nick

Re: definitely not pcb

duderduderini said:
Hey there.
Being a civilian type step down unit, it is an open transformer in a steel case of course. The smell has dissipated greatly over the last few days but it certianly isnt what i would call a pleasant smell...
Hopefully it will have completely gone in the next few days.
Thanks for all the help
Nick

If you wanted to help dissipate the smell a bit more you could always throw it in the oven at 60 degrees c for a few hours that would help out greatly and it won't hurt the transformer.

Nick

I love that old tranny smell.

I've worked with god knows how many old A&R transformers, I'm not aware of any hazards with them and I feel pretty sure that the old transformer winder I deal with in Melbourne (now in his 70's) would have mentioned it to me if there were problems. He knows I use scrounged bits.

I wouldn't worry too much.

As a side-note, A&R are what turned into Arlec, a name most people have heard of in Aus.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.