• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Audiopax 88 Power Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jorge,

Then why not say coloration? I just dislike the invention of phrases for the sake of some new jargon.

Incidentally, I've got old radio service sheets from the 1930s which talk of coloration to describe audio characteristics - after 70 years isn't it time to move on to something more objective to measure audio quality and fidelity?

bournville said:
Incidentally, I've got old radio service sheets from the 1930s which talk of coloration to describe audio characteristics - after 70 years isn't it time to move on to something more objective to measure audio quality and fidelity?

Agreed. But what do you suggest using? This is a serious question, one which has interested me for some time.
Standard THD numbers are pretty meaningless.

Aromaterapy!

Then why not say coloration?

Because that will be to obvious...caling it "sonic aroma",the average audiophile even think that this is a great quality...it can even tell his friends in the local pub...
-Hei!. i have a aromatic amp!...Hehehehheeh

Agreed. But what do you suggest using?

The standard for me is the input output diferencial test!If the output is equal to the input...nothing is aded(even aroma)...nothing is subtracted. :nod:

The worst distortion (in my opinion) is the intermodulation distortion...and his sister de EMF induced intermodulation!

Jorge

Ps: Bournville im enjoying to change points of vue with you. :)

Re: Sonic aroma!!

Tube_Dude said:
Hi Apassgear!

But where is the schematic??..:bigeyes:

Jorge

No schematic since it appears that this circuit is propietary and that they will try to patent protect it. (???)

Tube_Dude said:

Sonic aroma=coloration :devily:

Jorge

Well every amp gear has some sort of distortion. It's generaly accepted that distortion caused by the DHT is the most desiered of all if you have to have one.

:rolleyes:

Brett said:
But what do you suggest using? This is a serious question, one which has interested me for some time.

I agree Brett that the development of objective terms for measuring fidelity that would be universally accepted is nigh-on impossible - I think that I'm just irritated when terms are used with all the aplomb of a second-hand car salesman describing a car as a 'good runner.' There is also the suspicion that, as Tube_Dude says, terms like 'sonic aroma' can be used to bamboozle the innocent.

Distortion...

But what do you suggest using? This is a serious question, one which has interested me for some time.

For instance the much forgoten interface intermodulation distortion:

The inverting amp is much more prone to that forme of dinamic distortion(Even in solid state amps)because the EMF can reach the preamp or the CD.

I have spent much time studing the speaker interface and his relation to sound quality!Is that interface that explain the dramatic diferences betwen amps!

But you don't need to belive in me ...try this:

In a valve amp suitch the ground reference of the output transformer for the amp became inverting...then conect the feedback resistor to the grid of the first tube.
After this conect another amp via a 8 oHms resistor to the output.Put same music or sinusoide in this second amp and put the volume control at a medium level.
Then you can see at the grid of the first tube the sinusoide or the music that the second amp is feeding.(see with a osciloscope).
That second amp simulate the EMF of the speaker.
Is obvius that that voltage that apears at the input grid will enter in the preamp or cd...even if the ouput impedance of the preamp is low,but the open loop impedance is not! So this parasitic voltage will be processed!

Better than listening to people...is to do some experiences!

So keep your soldering station...hot. :cool:

Jorge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.