• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Can Anyone figure this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys
One of the local electronics chains will be selling an amp that runs a 6n1 input and a 6p15 it think its called.. essentially the equivalents of 6dj8 and el84 respectively. The claim is 25w rms but with a single output tube (the 6p15) I just cant see how you would get anyware near that.. For a start it is single ended OR is it driving a ss stage i wonder.
What say you?
Nick

a 6N1 is bascally an ECC88 and the 6P15 an EL84.
a maxed out EL84 glowing orrange can manage 7watts rms for a short while. More like 5watts rms for a reliable setup.
Methinks they are quoting music/peak power for both channels and even then a bit obtomistic.

I have one on order

I have got the local store to put one aside for me when they arrive mid year. There is no way this is 25 W RMS although the decware one does produce 12.5 watts but you would be running that poor el85 fairly hard.
This is a case of I will blieve it when I hear it and then pull the bonnet off and see if there is any sand.. err silicone in the power stage.

Was it one of these...?

www.vuumaudio.com

I saw a VTi-B1 the other day while in London Drugs. Looks cute. Maybe something a teenager might have on her shelf. It's apparently a stereo unit. Since there are only two output tubes I guess this would imply it's single-ended..?! Seems optimistic to report "15W x 2" and "50W max" per channel from those dinky 6N1s. "The Amp" looks like it could be taken a bit more seriously. Impossible to tell without seeing a schematic or knowing the quality of the iron.

Typical sales hype methinks.
Probably has semiconducter output satages if the wattage is correct.
There is no way one can tweak 15/20/25 watts rms from an ecc83.
Looking at the photo's it seems to have two drivers (6n1's) which are low level dual triode preamps and what looks like an em84 fluorescent bar display tube like they used for level displays in older tape recorders.

Look at the specs, says nothing about el84's

Specifications
VACUUM TUBE AMPLIFIER
Power Output ....................................... 15W x 2
Frequency Response .......................... 20Hz ~ 20KHz +/- 1.5dB
Harmonic Distortion .............................. <0.5%
Signal-to-Noise Ratio ............................ >86dB
Input Impedance ................................... 100K Ω
Output Impedance ................................ 4Ω, 8Ω
Power Supply ...................................... AC100 ~ 120V 50/60Hz
AC220 ~ 240V 50/60Hz
Dimensions: (W x H x D) ...................... 260 x 130 x 145mm
Included Vacuum Tubes ...................... 6N1 (ECC85) x 2
6E2 (EM 87) x 1
SPEAKERS
Driver Unit ............................................ 4" + 1" Dome Per Channel
Impedance ........................................... 4Ω
Max. RMS Power ................................. 50W Per Channel
Dimensions: (W x H x D) ...................... 144 x 237 x 177mm
DOCKING STATION
Connections ......................................... Composite Video Output
Audio Output
S-Video Output
Power DC In
Remote Control ..................................... Power ; Backlight ; MUTE ;
Previous ; Play/pause ; Next ;
Fast-rewind ; Stop ; Fast-forward ;
Album ; Chapter ; Playlist ;
MENU ; Enter ; Up ; Down ;
Play songs in order ; Shuffle songs ;
Bass Volume ; Treble Volume ; Master Volume
Dimensions: (W x H x D)....................... 155 x 123 x 130mm

PRODUCTS
VTi-B1 Stereo
The TUUB
The AMP

© 2006 VUUM Audio. All rights reserved. Website by ikrave entertainment group

I bought the above mentioned VTi-B1 stereo/amp a number of years ago. I loved the sound this little amp/speaker system filled my small concrete block apartment with. Not being a overpowering amp was a plus to me 'cause I didn't want to disturb my neighbours... but being deaf in one ear, I did want a bit more bass.

Anyways, I'm hoping this amp hasn't given up the ghost 'cause it isn't working anymore. A terrible humming noise is all that I get out of the speakers. None of the tubes have been changed in the 6 years that I've owned it, nor have I pushed them very hard. I was under the impression that a 6N1 was used by each speaker, but what are the chances of both blowing at the same time? or could the magic eye (6E2 EM87) be the culprit? Even more perplexing to me is that the sound out of the speakers doesn't change if one, two or all three tubes are removed.

So why am I posting on this site? I'm hoping somebody can start me off with some basic troubleshooting ideas... or at least provide me with a current model number of amp similar to the one that I have as a replacement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.