• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

preamp suitable for Dynaco st-70- OTHER than dynaco

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What are you using as the signal source(s)? If all you use is a CDP, a passive level control mounted CLOSE to the ST70 may be sufficient.

As long as you keep the wiring between the volume control and the amp very short and low capacitance, you are probably safe in using a 50 KOhm part. A stock ST-70 has a 470 KOhm resistor at its I/P.

no reason to run the Dynaco PAS when there are plenty of other preamps out there.

Personally I find a stock PAS highly colored (in a pleasant way). You can dump plenty of money into one to bring it up reasonable performance levels, but at that point you may be better off just building something DIY. DIY preamps are some of the cheapest things to build out there (provided you don't go crazy!).

Namatjira,

I agree with Eli, and I think if your CD player has a remote and a volume control would you need a preamp at all? Eli could probably answer that question better than I.

And here's an option if you aren't handy with building chassis. Buy a Dynaco PAT 4 or 5 off eBay. You can pick them up cheap. Then buy a set of PAS 3 boards and a power transformer and Voila! Tube preamp. I did just that and the man in Wisconsin who has it now loves it. See attached photos

Kevin

Attachments

• DSCN0257.JPG
    DSCN0257.JPG
    755.4 KB · Views: 183
  • DSCN0258.JPG
    DSCN0258.JPG
    694.9 KB · Views: 158
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.