• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Experiences with S&B102 TVC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Koinichiwa,

analog_sa said:
Is the connection diagram not obvious? - is input ground -- and + are shorted and ++ is signal in non-balanced mode, right?

This SHOULD be right, however, just in case, try the hookup the opposite way:

+ Input
- & ++ connected
-- ground

There is a small but non zero chance that they MAY have been mislabelled. It should not happen, but these are handmade (it takes around an hour to wind a pair of bobbins I'm told) in pairs and humans do make mistakes....

Sayonara

No commercial (or related) posting please

Hi bcherry,

Thank you for your inputs to the DIY forum, which were no doubt informative.

However, just in this thread only, you have unintentionally (I hope) promoted 3 of your products:

SB TX102
Jupiter capacitors
Django

In order not to use the diy forum as a channel to market commercial products, would you please in the future state clear in your posts that all your comments/opinions should be read with the following facts being kept in mind:

"You are one of the distributors of the S&B TX102, Jupiter capacitors, Django etc., and you have a strong commercial interest in the "well-being" of such products, which you are selling them with good profits."

Further, if you could just post technical related posts without any "comments/opinions" which promote your products, that's even better.

Thanks
:)

OK,you've kicked me in the butt (with a smile) and although I don't know if your view represents the majority, I'll take it as a reminder that I need to be more considerate of sensitivities. Sometimes I think of myself as a diy-student first and forget the implications of the business side; that's no excuse. In the future I will be more circumspect, however I will not wear the onerous disclaimer you suggest. Neither do I want to contribute to the commercialization of such a valuable resource.

But Pop11, are you a regular and did you register today just to reprimand me?

Brian:cool:

>But Pop11, are you a regular and did you register today just to reprimand me?>

I am a regular unregistered reader (not good enough to contibute yet, still learning), registered today to remind you, hope you don't mind.

You know, many new comers won't realize that you own a business and have a commercial interest in the products and will take your words just as they are. I am not saying that they shouldn't, but full disclosure is always purdent, right?

;)

Brian, please forgive me

I do feel guilty as i started this unfortunate thread. And i thank you for suggesting the +6db setting, it really worked well for me.

Pop11

Congratulations for such an impressive display of unmitigated jealousy and stupidity. Maybe next you'll castigate Nelson for unduly promoting his amps or Jonathan Carr for ever mentioning his cartridges and preamps.
No guts to post under your real id?

OK,you've kicked me in the butt (with a smile) and although I don't know if your view represents the majority

Nope it doesn't. I went back from the start of the thread and checked all your posts. The spirit and intent was clearly as if you were a diy'er trying to shed some light on the issue. And not as a distributor trying to push your products.

In fact the post where you mention the caps and silver are answers to questions by Peter ment for you personally. I.e. he was asking for your opinion.

Cheers,
Bas

relax ...

Hi Brian,

Don't worry too much. I cannot represent the majority, but for me, your postings were fine. Although pop has a point but I guess pop is just a sensitive person.

Hi guys,

There is no need to shoot pop down, as I didn't see any ill intend in pop's post.

IMHO, he has the right to post even he is new to here. Neither that he did anything that warrants personal attacks. Regarding posting under real ID, not many people did, many people in this thread didn't, so it surely not a crime ¡K

Enjoy the music ¡K
:wave2:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
:cop:

Hi Folks

From a mod point of view, there was no problem with either Brian's or pop's posts to this board.

Although I didn't realise that Brian had a commercial interest in the business, his posts are informative and helpful - just the kind of thing we like from traders who post on the board. I certainly didn't get the feeling he was pushing his products overtly.

As for pop's post, although he is new, he posted information that I was unaware of, in a perfectly polite, legitimate manner, and as such his contributions are valid, regardless of how many posts he has made.

As for analog_sa, your personal attacks are unwarranted, regard this as an official caution, I will be watching...

Koinichiwa,

pinkmouse said:

Although I didn't realise that Brian had a commercial interest in the business, his posts are informative and helpful - just the kind of thing we like from traders who post on the board. I certainly didn't get the feeling he was pushing his products overtly.

Perhaps I should also disclose that I advise on an informal basis S&B & MF Audio about new product ideas, marketing and such things, plus the odd bit of informal design consultancy.

That said, I have no comercial interrest in S&B whatsover, besides finding the guys helpful and interested in making products I find interesting to have made. A few products started with me asking Mr. Billington "what if you do this or that".

So I guess I would prefer if S&B stick around, rather than going under - and that's about the size of it. I leave it to everyone to make up their own minds how much of a Bias this creates. However, I have decided to restrict myself everywhere, excepting my "own" board(s) to not comment on any sonic issues or comparisons between S&B products and any others, even if/when I have made such comparisons to avoid any possible suggestion of trying to "push" products I had some involvement with.

I hope that technical comments on the use of S&B products are okay, where requested or fitting?

Sayonara

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002

Hi Kuei

The semi-official rule we have here when modding posts by people with commercial interests can be stated as- " Do they put in more than they take out?"

In 95 percent of cases this is true, and we welcome input from manufacturers and designers. Hopefully they might also learn a little along the way, as well as contributing their knowledge and experience.

The odd 5 percent of those that don't, often have their offending posts removed as spam, hopefully before you even see them, ( This is one of the reasons for the new probationary period for new members).

In your particular case Kuei, I see no problem with any of your input at all on this board, and your attitude towards your commercial interests is to be applauded, so comment away when you feel the need ;)

If anyone wishes to comment, there is a thread in EE about the general topic:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11124

pinkmouse said:
As for analog_sa, your personal attacks are unwarranted, regard this as an official caution, I will be watching...

Get a grip.

Peter's post was no more or less offensive than pop11's. He expressed a view bluntly, and considerably more politely than some other members around here (who for the moment shall remain nameless) usually do.

It is highly unusual for a new member in a group to make a policy statement, as as such is suspect. Simple group dynamics will tell you so. As you cannot search for IP's here to check on the identity of the poster, or whether they are a sockpuppet or not (or have ulterior motives of their own), it is a reasonable question to ask, and one I'd filed away to see whether, and what, our new member posts in the future.

As for the official warning, it is precisely this sort of stupidity that had me so against moderation in the first place, the way it's been done here in the past, and obviously still is being run now. And I've yet to see a reason to change my views. I does <b>nothing</b> positive to your credibility, and has only served to alienate a lot of good members here, some of whom have left permanently. Or is it your intention to have a lowest common denominator type atmosphere here?

Or are you simply going to try the heavy on me now?

FTR: I have nothing against Brians posts here. They were helpful, did nothing to hawk his product, esp considering the enquirer was an existing owner of the product. I am a customer of his in the past, and recommended him long before he began posting here. His company page is freely linked on each post, but standard netiquette is to include a disclaimer. So, very minor bad <i>perhaps</i>.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002

Brett said:
Peter's post was no more or less offensive than pop11's. He expressed a view bluntly, and considerably more politely than some other members around here (who for the moment shall remain nameless) usually do.

pop11 did not use such terms as stupidity or insults such as "lack of guts". As you may have noticed, we are cracking down on incivility on this board, we want to make it a nice place to be, and not intimidating, especially to new members.

It is highly unusual for a new member in a group to make a policy statement, as as such is suspect. Simple group dynamics will tell you so. As you cannot search for IP's here to check on the identity of the poster, or whether they are a sockpuppet or not (or have ulterior motives of their own), it is a reasonable question to ask, and one I'd filed away to see whether, and what, our new member posts in the future.

I think I must be too generous and kind hearted, I suspected no ulterior motives on pop11's part, and I thought his second post was a reasonable explanation of his actions. I tend towards always giving the benefit of the doubt;)

As for the official warning, it is precisely this sort of stupidity that had me so against moderation in the first place, the way it's been done here in the past, and obviously still is being run now. And I've yet to see a reason to change my views. I does <b>nothing</b> positive to your credibility, and has only served to alienate a lot of good members here, some of whom have left permanently. Or is it your intention to have a lowest common denominator type atmosphere here?

Apart from just after Christmas, when the feelings of goodwill were in the air, and we tended towards leniency, the moderation policy of this board has not changed much, we are just following Jason's wishes as to the direction he wants the board to go. If some people choose to leave then so be it, we cannot make people stay against their will, what we can do is encourage a level of polite, respectful behavior, in the hope that it makes diyAudio a nice place to be, for all members, be they newbies or old hands.

Or are you simply going to try the heavy on me now?

No, I will always explain my actions openly, and accept relevent criticism from all, but if you want me to be heavy I will oblige;)

Disclosure

Hi,

This thread has raised one interesting quesion in my mind:
Whether it would be better if members disclosed interests which may be relevant to other members of the Forum.
I was aware that Thorsten was S&B's consultant, and of Brian's interests. To my mind both have debated issues impartially. But that is how I've seen it: a priori.
To other members it might seem different.

Would it be an idea for members to be more "up front" by declaring interests on a register, and the software flagging whether they are a dealer or industry professional as a suffix to their moniker?

Cheers,

One thing is clear. Pop11's post will generate a lot more traffic than an innocuous discussion of a transformer. Which happens to be a commercial product. And i won't be surprised if next time when someone is asking for help both Kuei and Brian will prefer to remain silent. Which may well have been the intention.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
SOB.

Hi,

And i won't be surprised if next time when someone is asking for help both Kuei and Brian will prefer to remain silent. Which may well have been the intention.

Yup.
And all the members having problems with the product or show interest in will be left in the cold.

From someone lurking the forum for a while and than making such a post as a first one I sure have my alarm bells ringing.

Never have I seen anyone with commercial interests in audio product misbehave, all have positively contributed to the forum so far.
I would hate to have to miss that in the future.
You don't even have to aware of their involvement in the audio industry for all I care since none of them can be accused of pushing product in anyway.

And certainly not Brian Cherry nor TL.

To top it off, I think we were handling the situation nicely as it was.

Cheers and relax please,;)

I also test the s&B already.
But I must use high voltage DAC output. the volumn must approx on 1.00 hour location than had enough sound. Otherwise the headroom not enough. The sound looks between the speakers.
Unless your speaker had high effeciency.
i test sowther, S&B & audioconsulting in same time.
anybody had interest pls share experience.

thansk

Thomas :bigeyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.