Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Parallel Push Pull 6AS7 or 6080
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2013, 07:54 AM   #31
kstlfido is offline kstlfido  United States
diyAudio Member

Just stumbled across this thread searching for PPP 6AS7 circuits...

I have a pair of UTC LS33 20W line to voice coil transformers as well as a pair of Lambda 100-300v 400ma regulated power supplies. they've been stubbing my toes; time to move them all or make something useful. Big and heavy? Oh yes.

Desperateaudio- did you ever finish the amp? Did you find 600 primaries on the OPT a bit to low for your design?

-Kent
Old 9th April 2013, 08:39 AM   #32
ja2dhc is offline ja2dhc  Japan
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ja2dhc Send a message via MSN to ja2dhc Send a message via Yahoo to ja2dhc
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstlfido View Post
Desperateaudio- did you ever finish the amp? Did you find 600 primaries on the OPT a bit to low for your design?
My 6AS7 PP amp is described in the below URL
(sorry, written in Japanese, but you can see schematic and photos).

Data of 6080pp Stereo Amp.

I tested a low imp OPT of 968 Ohm Primary P-P). The below
lists comparison between 2K ohm vs. 968 ohm Primary P-P.
RL (P-P) ....... 2K ohm / 968 ohm
Max Power ....... 9.2W / 8.1W
THD@1KHz/1W ..... 0.89% / 0.98%
Output Waveform is shown in the below URL.

http://ja1cty.servehttp.com/6080/W-form-1Kx.jpg
Old 9th April 2013, 09:33 AM   #33
kstlfido is offline kstlfido  United States
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the links. Hmm, it seems like a 600 ohm primary might work for PPP 6AS7G, but I would get similar results to your 968 ohm load for PP.

Odd, how total power went down with 968 ohm, all other things being equal? I'll study your circuit.

Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 02:06 AM   #34
Gusmore is offline Gusmore  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Default 6AS7 Push-pull Amp

Hi, I told you that I am going to build the amplifier that I show. It is a circuit published in the RCA Receiving tube manual RC16.- What opinion do you have? See the attachment

Best regards
Gusmore
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6AS7 Push-pull Amp.jpg (165.6 KB, 167 views)
Old 26th June 2019, 08:21 PM   #35
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
Affordable triode connected sweep tube amps.
diyAudio Member

My opinion is to use triode connect sweep tubes such as 6P36S instead.

Triode power amplifier.

"The results were more than a little disappointing. I could get 12.5 watts out of it but at 6.5 percent distortion. Even when the power was lowered to 5 watts the distortion was still 4 percent. When I connected the feedback I couldn't get the distortion below 1 percent. Oh, well, these tubes were not designed for audio service."
Old 11th July 2019, 08:43 PM   #36
Gusmore is offline Gusmore  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Thank`s for aswer, but I have 12 (NOS) Haltron 6AS7 G tubes, then I will try to use them.- I have read a few publications in this forum where artosalo considers that the 6AS7 tube has excellent performance for AF.

Sorry, I write more or less in English, my language is Spanish.-

Best Regards
Gusmore

Last edited by Gusmore; 11th July 2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12th July 2019, 01:02 AM   #37
jhstewart9 is offline jhstewart9  Canada
diyAudio Member

Here is my kick at the PPP 6080 amp. I avoided the requirement for a brute force driver by applying boot strapping. That can be done in at least two ways. If a UL OPT is available the drive to the previous stage is easily provided by the UL taps. Otherwise a voltage divider across the OPT primary wdg works. The OPT is a special Hammond made for me.

I did a proof of concept using the UL OPT scheme. 25 watts with a 400V PS provided by a lab supply. That's pushing things a bit, but 125V in the cathode resisters & 250V on the tubes is OK.

The other cct was a simulation only, but shews that the concept is very workable. Cathode bias is a must. Or a bias servo.

All this published in Glass Audio more than 15yrs ago. On on this forum a few times.

Both use a two stage diff amp, so -ve 150V is also required.The cathode resisters should be something that can be heat sinked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A Different Kind of Triode Amplifier Z.jpg (77.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Bootstrapped 6AS7 6080 Amplifier Schematic wo UL OPT 4.jpg (58.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg GA2_99 Fig 1.jpg (91.6 KB, 56 views)
Old 12th July 2019, 09:44 AM   #38
Kay Pirinha is offline Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

Why not connect the drivers' plate resistors directly to the other side final's plate instead of a voltage divider or UL tap?
Best regards!

Parallel Push Pull 6AS7 or 6080Hide this!Advertise here!