• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Have to mod K-502 to 4Ohms from 8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I am going to put together the K-502 amp from AES. It looks like a good and fun amp, especially since I have never done this (it looks easy). I spoke with Perry over at Hemp Acoustics and he says this would be great for his FR4.5c speakers and I asked for plans for a speaker cabinet since all plans on his site are for 8"+ speakers. He says he is emailing me some plans for a cabinet that will use 2 of the 4.5" speakers for each cabinet but that the amp will need to support 5.6Ohms. Well, I will probably have a fire if I hook up this 8Ohm stereo amp to these speakers but I would like to build the speakers and use this amp if it I can modify the amp to handle the speakers. I dont know how to do this and while I worked in an electronics manufacturer for 5 years basic electrical theory was not part of my job. Can someone please tell me what I need to do to correct the amp before trying it out on these speakers and melting something?
Thanks so much,
Uriah

Link to the add on AES : http://www.tubesandmore.com/scripts.../elevclients/cemirror/ELEVATOR.FXP?item=K-502

Maybe I will get lucky and the transformer will have 4Ohm outputs as well as 8Ohm but I have no reason to believe that this is the case yet. If it did have 4Ohm outputs what would I have to do? Would I have to change anything except the windings that were attached to the output?

If you know the impedance of the output transformers you can always replace them with something else.

I have just built a small push pull amp using 6BM8 valves (similar to the 11BM8s that your project uses). I am using Edcor transformers. If you want to keep the project cheap, these may do the trick: http://www.edcorusa.com/products/transformers/xpp/xpp15-4-8k.html

I am sure that some other more experienced members may have some input, but I have used this amp with the smaller (10 watt) 8 Ohm output version of the above transformers on my 4 Ohm speakers with no problems. If you build the amp with the supplied transformers on your 4 Ohm speakers I suspect that you will just have less reflected load to the amp, with slightly higher output power and higher distortion.

Cheers,

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.