• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

preamp line ctt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Glancing through my 1960's dusty amp files, I came up with this preamp circuit and lashed it up using modern components.
The 2nd stage ECC83 bootstrap is a bonus upping the input Z and with gain control in cathode, the 3rd stage uses AC (36dB) nfb strapped back to cath 2nd stage. I have to tabulate the b/w performance and other issues.
For those who can't abide with true signal triodes, I used two EF86's as triodes an by golly it gave the b/w results I was after. Even with ECC83 it's good.
1V AC rms in and 18V rms at 3rd stage at only 0.15% thd 2nd harm. The THD drops proportionally with level. With such dynamic overhead performance, this would make a template for a line amp and with a Baxandall tone control stage + cathode follower o/p an excellent piece of kit..
Noise level using EF86's as triodes typ -90dB (pretty quiet).
The 2nd +3rd stage physics is pretty obvious, but I've only seen this config in one other preamp. Why not ?
The only other preamp I've seen anywhere near this is the Old Brimar/Thorn VP10 using obsolete ECC807's.

richj

Anyone else tried sim ?

Attachments

• front end.jpg
    front end.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 269
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.