Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

How do you know if your preamp has inverted the phase?
How do you know if your preamp has inverted the phase?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 02:49 AM   #21
cnpope is offline cnpope  United States
diyAudio Member

In most systems, I wonder whether any attention is even paid to the polarity of the connection from the amplifier output terminals to the speakers? (The same for both, obviously, but what about the absolute polarity?)

Is there a universal convention among speaker manufacturers about denoting which terminal needs to go positive for an outward movement of the cone? (Again, obviously, the same for all speakers of a given model made by that manufacturer, but what about different speaker types, and different manufacturers?)

I've never paid attention to this because I'm sure I would not be able to hear the difference of an absolute polarity change anyway. I am doubtful that anyone can genuinely hear a difference (and prove it by means of blind testing), but then I am a natural skeptic. But I am still curious as to whether speaker manufacturers follow a universal convention that indicates the absolute polarity of the speaker terminals.

Anyway, as was said on this thread a few years ago, if one wants to experiment with the effect of an absolute polarity reversal, an easy way is to flip the two wires on each of the speakers.

Last edited by cnpope; Yesterday at 02:53 AM.
Old Yesterday, 03:16 AM   #22
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Standard polarity is that the woofer cone moves outward when a positive voltage is applied
to the positive (red) speaker terminal.

Last edited by rayma; Yesterday at 03:20 AM.
  Reply to this post

How do you know if your preamp has inverted the phase?Hide this!Advertise here!