• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help newbie with tube-amp schematics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to build a tube amp. The amp i got is 36 years old so i want to make me a new one by myself.

Does anyone have a scheme of an ordinary mono amp that is suitible for a newbie like me. I have soldered stuff before but no amps and complicated stuff. I want something that is quite easy to build and not so expensive. Dont know really how much power i need, and i dont know how much a moderate, cheap tube-amp can deliver, but is 50-100w a realistic figure. And it would be nice if it dont need to high current.

Hi natten,

What is your current system? or how efficient are your speakers?

Building a push-pull tube amp will easily get you the 50-100 watts and drive almost all modern speakers.

What is your budget for this project?

Look at EL 34 tube based amps, these easily get 50 watts in P-P configurations.

maybeim said:
Hi natten,

What is your current system? or how efficient are your speakers?

Building a push-pull tube amp will easily get you the 50-100 watts and drive almost all modern speakers.

What is your budget for this project?

Look at EL 34 tube based amps, these easily get 50 watts in P-P configurations.

P-P, what does that mean?Push tube?
My speakers are the one's that dad bought with the amp, Luxor 4 ohm 65 watts. But im thinking of buying new ones that is smaller and higher.

I dont know how much i want to spend really. I have checked out some transistor based systems and they are quite cheap, its only the trafo that costs much.

Woaahh!! Guys, Easy on natten. We all started some where with building amps and natten has chosen this forum to post his questions. Let's try to help and suggest and be paitent.

Frank was very gentle with me when I started my project:happy2:

And I am going out on a limb here, but I would bet diodes to triodes that natten's native language is not english as so many of us mono lingual speakers assume, such as myself some times.

Just wait till he asks about a Tube surround DSP and home theatre system.;)

But seriously natten you have reached just the right place and in no time you will be speaking / building tube stuff. I was in your position just a while back, but thankfully can understand a few things now. But I would advice that you get the “hang” of tube-craft by building a simple Single Ended amp. Perhaps an EL84 design would be just right in terms of technical simplicity. It would also involve a lesser financial layout provided you stick to a reasonably priced output transformer.

Build that 50 or 100 watts tube amp once you gain a little more experience. You will be dealing with high voltages and such, even for a small SE amp, so practice caution at all times.

Try out Bonavolta for some simple and good schema. I am tube newbie too, but managed to build this amp very quickly. Of-course helpful guys like Frank and Joel here will be more than glad to give very good and easy to understand guidance. Keep them in good humor though.:devily:

All the best from a fellow learner.

You need to buy a power transformer that has taps for all the voltages you need. 5V, 6.3V, high voltage, a center tap, etc.

Attachments

• head.jpg
    head.jpg
    940 bytes · Views: 887
Transformers for tube amps

Hello Natten,

Here's a company who solved the high voltage supply in a very sly way, by using two cheaper low voltage transformers back to back. So, first transform the voltage down (15 volts for instance, use this voltage for the filaments, with some regulation of course) then transform it back up to 240 volts or whatever you need. The tube amp they used it in was a preamp with a much lower current draw then a poweramp. But if you're building an amp with EL84's maybe you can get away with it (opinions, anybody?). Of course, the output transformer is another story, I haven't heard of a cheap way to improvise these.

http://www.gyraf.dk/gyraf2/gy_pd/g9/g9pd.htm

(look at the power supply in the schematic)

Greetings,

Jarno.

natten said:

Edit,
there was another thing too, what is that thing that says "5k with gap" in http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/audio/el84_1.htm
Is it an inductance(excuse my spelling?)?

That thing is the output transformer. 5K is the value of its primary impendece (it is the end which is connected to the Tube). Other end (the secondary) will have connections for 4, 8 and/or 16 ohm loudspeakers. Have a look at this .

The output transformer ( or the "tranny") will have the most influence in the sound quality of your amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.