• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

300B shootout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't own any 300B. The biggest tube I have running is an EL84. I can't offer my recommendation if I don't have any of the tubes in question, can I?

You won't get far by insulting the readers of this forum. You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Ordinarily, I'd prefer the Russian tubes over the Chinese. But, I've recently heard good things of the Shuguang tubes. Especially their latest 12AX7 variant.

I think the Shuguang factory puts extra care into the high dollar tubes. I think that might include the 300B.

Good luck soliciting opinions. I hope you find the answer you seek.

Ty_Bower said:
You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

You'll also catch more flies with Google: http://www.google.com/search?q=300b+shootout&btnG=Search

People here are all notorious cheapskates. I have 300B amps which puts me in the minority around here. I only have one set of tubes. I think they are Chinese, and they sound pretty good. Beyond that, I can't say.

For the last 3 years I've been using the TJ' Mesh which is perferated plate .Changed over to the KR Audio balloon 300B
its a much better balanced tube and it showed how the lushness of the TJ hides inner detail in the music .Also just road tested the
EAT 300B this is a hard one better detail in voice's and string instruments but doesn't go as deep in the bass as the KR 300B.
My pick the KR Audio Balloon which is a standard replacement 300B tube not the hipo bxl.
Also tried JJ's ,Sovtek ,Vaic ,next to try EML's .
The EAT uses the same glass as EML and internal construction same as EML & KR but with a smaller plate ,it almost sounded
the same as a NOS 2A3 but with more power 6 watts .

Cheers.

My 805 SET amp has 300B as the cathode follower driver. In those sockets I have had a couple of good years from Shuguang carbon plate 300Bs and they are still going fine.

I tried to purchase working new stock electroHARMonix Gold grid 300B`s and out of three I bought, only one was good and would operate without grid to cathode short and violent turnon flash light show. If you want light show a xenon arc lamp is much cheaper.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have several 300B amplifiers in continuous (SE) or sporadic use (PP) and have used older Shuguang and Valve Arts tubes which at the time to put it bluntly were quite inferior to anything else I had tried. The current production stuff is undoubtedly a lot better - my memories of a dozen or so roached VA and Shuguang 300B has kept me far away.

I currently use and prefer JJ300B which in my case date from about 2001 - I can't speak to current production because the two pairs I have have been trouble free and are no where near needing replacement.

I had a dozen or so SV300B, today I have just two.. These tubes date from around 1998 - 2001 and all failed due to grid to filament shorts - mostly within 200hrs of use..

I've had early 2000 vintage WE300B and again these were excellent, but I don't currently have any new or otherwise. These would probably qualify as my top pick.

The early KR tubes IMO did not sound nearly as good as WE from the same time frame and weren't as long lived either. (Cost somewhat less though.)

I have also had access to 1950's vintage WE300B and found the differences small enough compared to the JJ in my amplifier not to spend $1000 or more for this used pair.

The current EH are good, particularly for the money, but some others here have had reliability issues eerily reminiscent of the problems I had with SED built SV300B's. I prefer the JJ's, they sound a LOT better...

I've built many 300B PP and SE amplifiers commercially and for my own use, but most of my experiences date from 7 - 8 yrs ago, and although they color my opinions just how relevant are they? But since you asked I post them here..

Frankly my next set will either be TJ or WE.. But as I indicated none of the 3 current sets I own are close to worn out.

My amplifiers are fixed bias with plate voltages of 400V and idle currents ranging from 70 - 80mA. None of the less expensive ones I tried in the past lived for more than a few hours at these voltages and currents.

I have similar experiences to Kevin, but different tube sources. About 8 years ago I bought a bunch of Sovtek 300B tubes. Most failed after the 90 day warantee period, but before 6 months of service. New Sensor would not help. All lost half of the filament. The 4 remaining good tubes have been working in the same amp ever since. That (300B P-P) amp is one of the best sounding amps that I ever built.

I have been using Shuguang 300B's in all of my recent amps with good results. I bought a bunch of Shuguang KT88's 10 years ago though, and they reminded you that the Chinese invented fireworks! Perhaps the quality on both sides of the world have improved.

I need damaged 300B tubes

Thanks for the replay.
Very good informations.
I have interest in receive damaged 300B tubes.
My interest is open the tubes and recover the filaments and shorts.
Is a experience and I do not know if the results will be fine, but is possible.
My idea is recovery this tubes for get experience for restore old and rares triodes as PX4, PX25, 300B, and others.
Anyone can help me ?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: I need damaged 300B tubes

aldovan said:
Thanks for the replay.
Very good informations.
I have interest in receive damaged 300B tubes.
My interest is open the tubes and recover the filaments and shorts.
Is a experience and I do not know if the results will be fine, but is possible.
My idea is recovery this tubes for get experience for restore old and rares triodes as PX4, PX25, 300B, and others.
Anyone can help me ?

This sounds interesting, what sort of experience and hardware do you have?

I might have a single SV300B you could experiment on, but I'll have to check that as I did a recent clean out of my stash and may have thrown it out. I also have a couple of NIB 71A with filament close to shorting the grid - so this is certainly not a new problem.

Fine

Kevin

I have the components for this experiment.
I have tungstein wire and new bulbs for this.
I am looking for a powered vaccum pump this time.
My idea is made new tubes, and this experiment is fine for know the plates sizes and construction.
The process is cut the glass and remove the plate.
After repair, I put the structure in a new tube or in the old if is possible.
Is my first experiment and a friend will send damged 2A3 tubes, too.
If you can send me some damged units, is fine.
This process is used in power expensive transmitter tubes.

Thanks

Aldovan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.