• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Confusion over Knight 600 tester numbers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a question, might be a silly one... In my knight 600 manual (what I could find online at least) it says for the short test "find the letters in light face type in the U and D columns on the roll chart" and then to obviously place them in either opposite directions.

What do they mean by "light face type" ? Do they just mean the U and D numbers? It kind of confused me :confused:

Also, I have found that the numbers in parentheses at the end are the control grids, but what about the numbers right after the tube? such as for a 12au7 it says (4-5-8) for the first section, and (3-4-5) for the second. I assume most roll charts are close or the same, so anyone with a tester that uses a roll chart might have some usefull information for me..

Greetings,

I don't know what is meant by "light face type" in the references you have found. The U column means "up" and the D column means "down". The numbers in parenthesis, in your example (4-5-8) and (3-4-5) mean that if these levers are pushed to the "up" position the SHORT TEST lamp will indicate a short. That does not indicate a real short. The numbers in parenthesis after the other data, for a 12AU7 (2) and (7), indicates the lever to be pulled down one position from normal to perform a gas test.

Do you have the instructions on how to perform a thorough test with your tester? I could scan those pages out of my manual in case they are different from yours.

Best,

Wade

hey thanks for the replies, I think I pretty much have it figured out as far as most of the tests go. I knew U and D meant up and down.

TW: AHA! that explains why I was getting "shorts" on most of my tubes that I tested. I just assumed it was internal connections but wanted to make sure, you confirmed that for me. Thanks!

I do have the instruction manual, not the original but downloaded from some site. found it within 5 mins on a google search. I found the calibration a little too easy, and I cant help but worry about adjustment if the plastic gague adjustment screw has been moved.

Colt: I thought the same, but its all in bold...:whazzat:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.