• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Too awesome for words

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks to the poster:) and to the creator. That was really facinating!

In my late teens (many years ago) when there was mostly B&W telly, I would work in the evenings in a TV repair shop. In the basement we used to re-gun CRT's. Several of the processes were similar to those in this great video, including:
Joining glass extensions
Cleaning of electrode assy - though I remember using toluene
Heating electrode assy during pumping - to remove gasses
Heated Pinch-off after pumping

Did I miss him firing a getter? Did it have one?

Also, I didn't undertand the last appliction, with the violet ionisation ring within. Does anyone know what was happening/what it was?

dhaen said:
Thanks to the poster:) and to the creator. That was really facinating!

In my late teens (many years ago) when there was mostly B&W telly, I would work in the evenings in a TV repair shop. In the basement we used to re-gun CRT's. Several of the processes were similar to those in this great video, including:
Joining glass extensions
Cleaning of electrode assy - though I remember using toluene
Heating electrode assy during pumping - to remove gasses
Heated Pinch-off after pumping

Did I miss him firing a getter? Did it have one?

Also, I didn't undertand the last appliction, with the violet ionisation ring within. Does anyone know what was happening/what it was?

I didn't see any getter either...I don't think he used one.
The purple in the end,I'm thinking might have been a mercury vapor (or similar?) rectifier.

Wayyyyy cool!!

:D

Awesome. Simply amazing.

From his website, it looks as though the thing with the purple disc is come sort of Manometer, for measuring vacuum.

His vacuum pump was poetry in motion. The sort of thing that I could watch all day. His Tube-measuring equipment looks to be more advanced that that used in the heyday of the tube- they were, IIRC, sketched or traced from a photo of the 'scope screen.

I wonder if an English-dubbed version would make a good 'tubes-for-newbies' learning tool. Certainly, a translation of the website would be fantastic.

Well, not all; but certainly most.  All the complex tools, and he's a master of jigs, patterns, fixtures.

I have myself learned to make, in the last half century, racing motorcycles and hydroplanes, guitars/lutes/tiples, airplanes, hang gliders, swords/knives, muzzle loading rifles, sailboats, hi-fi gear, all of paradigm-creating quality.  I am monumentally vain about my Gyro Gearloose cred.

This guy is a MONSTER.  He puts me on the trailer.  I want to know who he is, just so I can idolize him properly. If any of you guyz can point me at this information, I would be grateful.

Aloha,

Poinz

Very nice video

Long time ago i did also glassblowing for an half a year on technical fine-mechanic education. Nice to see it again and i recognised the techniques used, eg slow heating, oven treatments, glass cutting and breaking. Very nice point welder he made/used.
In the last part of vid he was milling something, did that also for a few years, CNC. Now i have a more commercial/medical occupation.;)

Poindexter said:
What's he doing when he smokes the glass with the carburizing flame?

P

Heats the glass up slowly to reduce tensions in it. The carbon residu burnes away immidately when O2 is added on the heater. After the glass blowing and glass welding the flame is kept on it without O2 for some time to cool the glass slowly down for the same reason. After the process the glass is placed in the can-like oven to bake-out tensions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.