• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

New Production Shuguang Type 50 Tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
AFAIK their 845 is ok in terms of reliability, at least amongst the few I know who use it.

The 2A3C I can't say.

I have shied away from Shuguang tubes for years because of very bad experiences I had with their early 2000s vintage 300B.

Apparently they are now owned by Samsung and reputedly their quality and QC procedures are much improved. As the Romans said: Caveat Emptor, and as always YMMV..

These are selling for $36 each at mableaudio.com

The company mentioned above is one of the Chinese firms that persist in bombing my email box with spam in an attempt to get me to sell their amps, kits, speakers or whatever. Commercial messages containing high resolution pictures over a meg in size have resulted in the overflow of my inbox 3 times in the past few months. Do they think that interrupting my business will convince me to sell their Chinese amps? I don't think so!

Isn't it that Shuguang have problematic 2A3C and 845?

I have one pair of their 2A3's which haven't seen much use, but I have tortured 3 pairs of their 845's and 2 sets of 211's and they seem to shake it off. I have cranked my original pair of 845's to 110 mA at 1200 volts without issue. There were a few early tubes that were reported to be noisy due to poor plate contacts, but that is supposed to be resolved. I never saw that issue.

I got one of the first sets of 845's. They must have been made before they got a good English translator because they are labeled " Election Tube" " made in Chian". They still work good though.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
tubelab.com said:

The company mentioned above is one of the Chinese firms that persist in bombing my email box with spam in an attempt to get me to sell their amps, kits, speakers or whatever. Commercial messages containing high resolution pictures over a meg in size have resulted in the overflow of my inbox 3 times in the past few months. Do they think that interrupting my business will convince me to sell their Chinese amps? I don't think so!

I have one pair of their 2A3's which haven't seen much use, but I have tortured 3 pairs of their 845's and 2 sets of 211's and they seem to shake it off. I have cranked my original pair of 845's to 110 mA at 1200 volts without issue. There were a few early tubes that were reported to be noisy due to poor plate contacts, but that is supposed to be resolved. I never saw that issue.

I got one of the first sets of 845's. They must have been made before they got a good English translator because they are labeled " Election Tube" " made in Chian". They still work good though.

Hi George,
You're not alone, unfortunately I get the same spam from them as you do, fortunately it has not caused any issues with my mail service, but it is somewhat annoying..

I too have seen tubes from Shuguang marked "Election Tube" and "Made in Chian" I think it is kind of humorous actually. Incidentally a Chinese friend tells me the name translates roughly as "Glows Brightly" - something I have seen with more than a few of their early KT88/6550. :D

Hi Korneluk
Have ordered 2-type 50 tubes. My new Amp will be 5842 choke load-50 Tube IT-TX-GM-70. This is the only Way to see sound quality and Build and hope for the best. Still have one PSE 300B
for 2 years and one 3x6550 PSE for+- 3years all Shuguang Tubes
all working perfect.
regards
Rudi

Hi George,
You're not alone, unfortunately I get the same spam from them as you do, fortunately it has not caused any issues with my mail service, but it is somewhat annoying..

A little O-T but, you should be able stop all unwanted emails through your internet service provider. I use a small dial-up service and can block (black list) anybody or an intire domain. Plus I can set the level of aggressiveness on the spam filter and get a digest of what's been filtered each day. If your ISP can't do this, you need a new one. BTW, AOL and Yahoo are the worst ISPs.

Victor

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
HollowState said:

A little O-T but, you should be able stop all unwanted emails through your internet service provider. I use a small dial-up service and can block (black list) anybody or an intire domain. Plus I can set the level of aggressiveness on the spam filter and get a digest of what's been filtered each day. If your ISP can't do this, you need a new one. BTW, AOL and Yahoo are the worst ISPs.

Victor

I have verizon and can block this spammer any time I choose, but since the black list has an upper limit on the number of addys I can list I save it for egregious spammers - besides these ones are entertaining. I can also configure the mail relay to kill this if I want. Worst case I will program the spam filter in thunderbird to delete it upon receipt - with a 250MB limit on my mail box I never loose email this way anyway.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Spam Etc.

kevinkr said:

I have verizon and can block this spammer any time I choose, but since the black list has an upper limit on the number of addys I can list I save it for egregious spammers - besides these ones are entertaining. I can also configure the mail relay to kill this if I want. Worst case I will program the spam filter in thunderbird to delete it upon receipt - with a 250MB limit on my mail box I never loose email this way anyway.

7N7 said:
I think that Googlemail - Gmail - is the best. You get nearly 6GB, and the spam filter is very impressive.

And it's all free!

7N7

google for

email remover version 2.4

I use it everyday - deleting unneeded ditto on mail server .

regarding gmail....... I use it too, as second mail account , but I just can't adopt to web mail ....... who knows why .....GUI issue or just old habit from dialup era - take mail and run ;)

I have a pair of their 2a3C Shuguang tubes which I use in my diy amp, and I bough them from German Tubeampdoctor for some 45€ for piece. They look impressive, almost like 300B, they have gold mesh and gold pins, they are pretty well built, but their sound is thin, with restricted mids and basses in comparision with Sovteks 2a3. I would call them 2a3 lights...

If your ISP can't do this, you need a new one.

The Tubelab email address is provided my my web hosting service, which is paid up until next August. I can, and have set the spam killer up to block certain addresses. That works for a week or two, then I get the same "stuff" from a different source in China.

My web hosting service was recently swallowed up by a larger corporation, and I have received a few complaints of sporadic outages. I suspect that the servers have moved. They used to be about 3 miles from here. Maybe I will look around come renewal time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.