• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

mercury vapor... i love it!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi friends, I wanted to have a little more information about these tubes, i want to build a SE with the gm70 or 100th, and i need of an high voltage rectifier, I love the blue light of these tube!
i don't have problems to get large capacitors, this is a problem for the tube rectifier, true?

It's better for you a CLC with a biginductanze or a CLC with a little inductanze but big capacitors?

and What is for you a valve with a beautiful light? and do you have photos of these tubes in operation?

866a or 3b28 are good? or is little for my amp?
I have see a 872a, it's good for me?
thanks andrea

866 and 3B28 are electrically the same, but 866 uses mercury whereas 3B28 uses Xenon gas. This also means that the 3B28 only needs to heat up a few seconds and not a half minute like the mercury vapor rectifiers. On the other hand it is said that the gas rectifiers produce more HF noise.

Personally I like the 3B28 very much, because of the violet purple glow. I always heat them up with a cheap SNT, actually designed for 12V halogen spots. You will only need two windings for the 2,5V.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Regards, Simon

Mercury...bad stuff even if you like the blue color. I'm intrigued by the 3b28 xenon version though. Few environmental side effects that I can find, basically inert, but I have read about its use for generating ultraviolet light. Anyone know anything about these tubes? Any concern re: UV light?

Carl

Carl said:
Mercury...bad stuff even if you like the blue color. I'm intrigued by the 3b28 xenon version though. Few environmental side effects that I can find, basically inert, but I have read about its use for generating ultraviolet light. Anyone know anything about these tubes? Any concern re: UV light?

It is my understanding, from what I have read, is that detrimental short wavelength UV is stopped by the glass.

Victor

Sorry for the off-topic response, but my question was legit and the topic is legit for the post.

Why??
Are you using special care to dispose thermometer or amalgamat from your tooth or manual thermostat ? Your more likely to die because of your smoking spouse than dangers of mercury rectifier :0).Regards, L

In short, yes. Because where I live it's illegal to dispose of ANY mercury in a landfill - thermometers, thermostats, amalgam from fillings (there's a new program for dealing with fillings here in NH, but dentists are still allowed, for now, to wash it down the drain). We have special collection programs for thermometers, etc., and they're treated as hazardous waste. We had a Dartmouth College professor die just days after spilling a tiny amount of a particularly nasty mercury compound on herself in a lab.

Yeah, perhaps you're likely to DIE more quickly IF your spouse smokes (mine doesn't), but mercury is a SERIOUS neurotoxin that's likely the cause of an apparent epidemic of autism in the US. Look up Minamata Bay or Minamata Disease for some interesting info. Or you may remember the Mad Hatter? Haberdashers used mercury in the felt for hats, and many went mad or died as a result.

I don't know anything about the form of mercury in these tubes, and some forms are relatively harmless UNTIL they get converted into things like methyl mercury. But my caution is warranted. Be VERY careful not to break those mercury vapor tubes, folks.

Carl

Now, all that said, I haven't heard an amp w/a mercury tube yet, so maybe it's worth the risk?

Interesting and I am sure it is better if lilke electricity, we treat mercury with respect.

I have a friend who is something of a hypochondriac. He spent over £2000 having all the amalgam removed from his teeth following a read about mercury.

I asked my dentist about this. She laughed, pointing out that she had been inhaling mercury vapour for years. She said "And I'm not mad ha-ha-ha-ha..."

7N7

Carl
Thank You for your insight -very interesting .In Detroit MI where I live life is, ahem way simpler and much more polluted I guess ;) The real risk involving using MV rectifier would be breaking the tube while operating (hot) which would cause contamination of the room with mercury vapors -nasty perspective .One would have to abandon the listening room for a couple -few years . Regards, L

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.