• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Edcor Transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Today I received 2 pairs of transformers from Edcor, one pair is the
60 watt CXPP60-8-6.6K (Push-Pull) @ $59.30 each and the other pair is 15 watt XSE15-8-5K (SE) @$19.05 each. I am impressed with the quality, size and weight of these transformers.

edcortrans.jpg

The other photo is a chassis I got from work, I actually got 6 of them, slim, thin and long, just right for some mono blocks. I will spray paint the front black to get rid of the white lettering. I mocked a mono block on it. I'm almost tempted to leave the 16 led's on the front as a "watt" meter.. :)

edcoramp.jpg

And a photo of the 2 transformers next to each other.

edcorpair.jpg

Regards,
Sal Brisindi

Sal Brisindi said:
Trout,
I asked Edcor when I ordered the transformer if they can put leads on it instead of what I purchased and they said no. How did you go about it and did Edcor charge any extra for it? I do agree I like the wire version better.

Thanks,
Sal

I have heard that before from guys. Its interesting, I order a dozen at a time of the XSE15-8-5K. I think it only costs 1.99 per transformer more.

I have 6 or 7 left right now, So I will be ordering more soon. I have bought maybe 35 of them this way. I use them in a SE guitar amps. ( for Champ upgrades)

I was told by a couple guys on the guitar forums that they will only do single secondays with leads, If you need multitaps they will not.

Trout

Jeb-D. said:
Trout, where did you get that tag board pictured above?

I make those boards, It is just some 1/8th in GP03 with eyelets. I get the board from McMasters Carr and eyeletts from mouser.

TubeHead Johnny I wanted to try Edcors for some time now, but I've heard that they are a tad bass shy compared to the Hammond units. Is there any truth in this?

I have used a lot of these as replacements in Fender's Black & Silverface Champs amplifiers. After installation, the first thing you notice is that you roll down the bass knob to at 1-2 instead of 6-8.
No lack of bass at all in fact it is a huge improvement in that particular amp. I am certain there are others also work well, but Edcor has great bang for the buck.

Of course YMMV.

Trout

Erm wait.....

Could u pay with $$$ from the european distributor in Belgium ???

The price from their official european sales office was a bit erm..high. Nearly the twicefold.

But german customs can really suck. They really ripped me off for these big Hammond Irons from AES.

Simon

UK customs is hit & miss...
The total cost of the 2 OPTs & a power tx with shipping was about £70...it's for my first build (Tubelab Simple SE) so I'm trying to keep the costs down as I'll probably screw it up! I tried the European distributor (in Belgium) but he was out of stock on the OPT's.
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.