Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Optimal Umbilical Runs and Connections
Optimal Umbilical Runs and Connections
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2007, 05:08 PM   #11
ckniker is offline ckniker  United States
diyAudio Member

Where is the best (i.e. cheapest) online place to buy about 2 meters of Belden 1037a?

Chris
Old 7th November 2007, 05:14 PM   #12
JoshK is offline JoshK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Great ideas guys! I learned a few things as usual.

I especially like the loopback idea. I was thinking instead of having all the mains current travel through the connector cable, finding a 120V controlled relay and run it in parrallel with the mains which would be switched by relay. The current traveling through the cable would just be the current needed to drive the relay. Are there such safe relays?
Old 7th November 2007, 05:21 PM   #13
JoshK is offline JoshK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Actually I forgot I have some of these...

120v relays
Old 7th November 2007, 05:26 PM   #14
zigzagflux is offline zigzagflux  United States
diyAudio Member

I go to Industrial Electric Wire and Cable, http://www.iewc.com/
Last time I checked, the cable was in stock. Minimum order applies, but it wasn't all that much. You will definitely end up with more than 2 meters.

My suggestion on the shields is they are strictly used for shielding and grounding of the chasses, not used for audio signal conductors. Twisted pair plus shield should be all you require to keep each signal hot and cold in its own shield, happily isolated from the rest of the world. Circuit common, however you choose to implement, will use the cold conductor, not the shield. See http://www.nutshellhifi.com/Karna.gif for visual.

You never specifically stated if your tubes were direct heated or not, but if they are direct, keeping your filament transformers inside the amp proper makes for a shortest path or audio . Even if indirect heated, how small of a chassis are you planning that you can't avoid magnetic coupling to the output transformer? Push-pull or not, the issue doesn't change. Additionally, the more filaments you have to heat, the potentially more conductors you need in the umbilical; one 120VAC is all you need.
Old 7th November 2007, 09:35 PM   #15
dsavitsk is offline dsavitsk  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zigzagflux
Even if indirect heated, how small of a chassis are you planning that you can't avoid magnetic coupling to the output transformer? * * * Additionally, the more filaments you have to heat, the potentially more conductors you need in the umbilical; one 120VAC is all you need.
2 tubes (7788's) so current draw is under 1A, and while it isn't that small, it is a headphone amp, so any hum is way too much.
Old 8th November 2007, 12:33 PM   #16
NickC is offline NickC
diyAudio Member

kevinkr

Thanks for the link
I was wondering more about the connectors
Do you know how much voltage and current they can stand?

Thanks

Nicholas
Old 8th November 2007, 08:06 PM   #17
Colt45 is offline Colt45  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Colt45
If you have 12v in the PS, you can run a 12v loopback, to switch a normal 12v relay. safer than 120v...

I wouldn't bother, myself, but, perhaps if it was production use.

Optimal Umbilical Runs and ConnectionsHide this!Advertise here!