• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

low ac voltage question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I searched forums and didn't find any answers.
Would a low AC voltage say 100 to 105 volts be a problem for an original good sounding Grommes 24pg amplifier.

And no the house current is OK at close to 120.

Just wondered if using a variac to run an original good sounding amp a little shy of 117 would be easier on transformers etc.

What does everyone think?

Thanks, Watsi2

variac soft start and low voltage operation

I am currently using a variac to provide a very soft start. And I noticed that the tone seems nicer at about 100, to 105 volts max.

Also when I shut it down, I slowly drop voltage and my little Grommes will produce nice tone down to 50 volts or less.

My question to the group.s. Is there any reason that I should not use these methods of operation? I can't think of any with my very limited knowledge.

The more I read and study tube audio books it seems that only a small amount of learning occurs. I will buy and repair some gear, and build amplifiers soon.

I have been reading posts on this Forum for sometime and find it very informative!

Cheers

Dropping B+ isn't a problem, but dropping filament voltage can cause some.

but.. 105v.. <10%... good enough. You could wire a 12v transformer as a buck deal to drop the mains from 120 to 108, if you want, and free up the variac. If the sound is related to B+ change, = shift in op point, and not fil change, you could always modify the PS some.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.