• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

k-502/k-12m vs. Model 1 pcl82

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please bear with me... I'm a total noob.

I'm looking to buy a kit very soon and the k-502, k-12m and model 1 pcl82 seem to be the big three. Right now I'm leaning toward the pcl82. I know that the k-502 and k-12m are push-pull and the pcl82 is single ended with the option of running it pentode, triode, ultra-linear.
There is also a negative feedback option. I'm also slightly considering the st-35... but it's a bit pricey as a first kit.

So, I guess my questions are:
1) what does the difference between PP and SE mean to me and my listening experience?
2) What do the differences between pentode, triode, and UL mean to me and my listening experience?
3) What does the negative feedback option mean to me and my listening experience?

Also, if anyone has any experience with these kits... I'd love to hear your feedback. Thanks.

PCL82- http://audio.engineeringvista.com/AudioKits/Model-1/index.htm

k-502- http://www.tubesandmore.com/scripts.../elevclients/cemirror/ELEVATOR.FXP?item=K-502

john.

I have experience with the K-12M Tube Amplifier Kit. It is perfect for the beginner (it was my first tube project).

Here is more information and other peoples experience with the K-12 and K-502 Tube Amplifier Kits.

The PCL82 kit you note also looks good for the beginner. Just keep in mind that the SE kit will be about 1/2 the power of the PP kits so you will need some fairly efficient speakers.

All three kits you mention seem like a good choice for the beginner.

Good luck.

It really depends on the design as far as listening experience goes. Not all triodes & pentodes sound the same, nor do all SE or PP amps sound the same. So it coud be a rather hard inquiry to answer.

I used to be a SE advocate, but lately have favored class-A, PP.
You really can't loose with either of those kit's though. Their both tried and true.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.