• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6L6G and 6L6GB differences?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
On paper the 6L6G and 6L6GB have identical specifications: 360 V plate rating, 19 watts and a screen rating of 270 volts and 2.5 watts

Here's the question: in a fixed (cathode) bias amplifier can I really use a 6L6G instead of a 6L6GB? Or are there other specs. I'm not seeing that make the earlier 6L6G not robust enough?

My Leben CS-600 amplifier is fixed (cathode) bias. It has two toggle switches to vary plate voltage and cathode bias. With these switches it can run a bunch of output tubes (EL34, 350B, EL37, 6L6GB, 6L6GC, KT66, etc.)

The owner's manual lists the 6L6GB as OK to use but NOT the earlier GA or G. The GB's are run at 410 V plate voltage and 680 ohms cathode resistance.

Word on the street is that the earlier 6L6G sounds better than the 6L6GB (and are still pretty cheap NOS), hence my interest.

The only difference is in the tube size/shape. The innards are the same. The 6L6GB came later and the reduced size was an advantage for amplifiers getting smaller.

________________________________________________--
Look after the sense and the sounds will look after themselves. (Lewis Carroll)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.