• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6M5 valve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone had experience with this relatively obscure valve?
I think its an EL80, or an EL41 in a different package

I picked up an old Kriesler radiogram from the side of the road, still in working condition (turntable missing), with schematic on the back(built 1970), good 6" full range speakers.
The amps are 1/2 a 12AX7 driving a 6M5, about 3-4 watts. It has an interesting bias circuit, 'back' bias (Aitken amps has an article on this on their site), basically derived by lifting the power trannie CT above ground with a resistor.

I'm thinking of converting it to Cathode bias, and using both sides of the 12ax7 in series to make a little guitar amp, similar to a Fender champ, unless there's a collector with something to swap in the Sydney area who wants to stop me butchering the unit.

Cheers,
Pete McK

6BX6 could be a 6M5

I had just recently bought a box of valves from a deceased estate the owner of the box was a radio engineer in katoomba NSW Australia, in the box of some 200 valves a group of MINIWATT 6BQ5s, that i was looking to identify, which ended being EL80s the next batch of valves i tried to id were Miniwatt 6M5 the unusual thing is they look identicle in construction materials shape metal pressings the lot.I have not as yet found any data, and i am no electrical engineer, just a starter who has built his first burning amp (deluxe). is it possible they are the same out of the same factory?

Some 6M5 data from the "Miniwatt Electronics Handbook", published by Philips, in Australia, in 1965.

Attachments

• 6m5.jpg
    6m5.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 872
Well done darryl_h - thanks for posting that info - it provides a little more data than a simpler Miniwatt summary table I had. I should try and revisit a little Philips intercom that I restored a few years ago that has a typical 250V B+, and 7k5 OT and 6M5 cathode biased PP, even though it's got a 62 ohm output OT. I've just grabbed the EL41 plate curves at 250V screen, which can be used to more confidenly check loadline operation.

Ciao, Tim

Thanks for that darryl_h, as that helps confirm. I didn't find that EL41 datasheet link, but another abridged version had the anode curves. The scottbecker site is down, which is where I normally go.

I can't identify any change in the optimal loading curves shown on pages 11 and 12 of your linked datasheet for EL41 (?), except for the dates - maybe they changed physical packaging, or moved manufacturing plant.

"Relatively Obscure"
Not here in Oz at least - they were widely used in just about every locally produced "3 in 1"
stereo unit and were even used in Maton , Moody etc. Ozzie Guitar Amps.
As stated by Fred above, they are equivalent to an EL80. Not that hard to find NOS tubes and quite easy to find good used ones.

Tim, 6BQ5 are EL84 and not 6M5 equivalents. They are beefier than the 6M5.

Cheers,
Ian

Last edited:
Sorry, but I don't! My Philips-Mullard/RETMA cross references are from my pocket tube table book (Röhren-Taschen-Tabelle in German), and the hints on the EL41/ECL86 relationship I got by comparing lots of data and curves of power pentodes of the same plate dissipation rating.

Cheers!

Thanks again guys for your efforts, I'm in WA, but I have found an EL41 on ebay (NOS), so it's on it's way... can't wait to fire up this old "nipper" that I scored from my grandad many years ago - it's amazing really how 30+ year old gear tests fine except for one valve!

6m5's.....rejigged 84's ?

Hi , the original 6m5 tube began life as an innoval tube ....those are the 9 pin tubes that look like a disc has been glued to the base ...the plates were almost silver looking and much smaller than the later el84/6bq5/6m5 styled plates.....it possible to think that the 6m5 is just a rejigged el84 with 1 pin in a different spot , certainly the bigger plates would be mean increased plate dissipation...for the sake of moving one wire on the socket I just might stick one in and see if it "burns".....

I tested one a while back to el84 spec and it pulled 45ma at 250v on the plate and 7.3v on the grid .....it was used

An easy mod if it works...;)

6M5 substitute

I forgot to mention in my previous Post....To use the EL83 in place of the 6M5,
it is necessary to link Pin 6 to Pin 3 on the back of the socket to connect suppressor grid to cathode.

BTW has anyone actually seen an EL80 (not E80L). I have not and also not found any datasheet! Wondering if it really does exist. These High transconductance tubes were derived from the EL41 I can believe.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.