• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

New S5 L series kits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has time to look over the new kits from S-5. Any opinions as to improvements over the K-12 or 502 series that seems to be popular for a first tube amp project.

Thanks for your input.

I have been reading on this forum and have learned a lot. I would like to try my hand at a kit this Winter.

Cheers

Hi Watsi2, I got one of the K-8LS kits last week. I already have a modded k-12m and an EL84 (article not yet on the web). My first impression is that the kits are just an update of the earlier ones. The tube line up was changed to use more available tubes. I question this as there isn't a shortage of the earlier ones. A full set can be had for about $30US. The new tubes are military surplus from 1987. Hardly new issue. I would rather have seen EL84s and 12A_7 series. The circuit is nearly identical with previous k-12s. The biggest improvement is that the power transformer is bigger (no specs on it though). The originals ran very hot. For what it is worth, I would wait a while before buying one of the new kits. Mine came with mismatched outputs (one for a K-12 and one for a K-8), was missing two resistors and had a 470k resistor about 20% out of tolerance. If you want more specifics drop me an email at gofar99@hotmail.com.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.