• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6S4P vs 5842

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Does anybody have experience of using 6S4P as a driver for 300B SE amp? How are the sonic differences? I know lots of peoples were using 5842 for the driver, but they are expensive and less available. Also I'm planning to build a simple 6AS7G SE amp with the 6S4P for the driver (CCS loaded and LED bias). The B+ is 325V. Would it be has enough voltage swing for the 6AS7G? Thanks!

Hi mus

I can not really help you as I have not tested any of the tubes. Actually (looking at the specs and due to KWY recommendations) I bought some 6S4P's, but have not been able to put them to service, yet. It seems that some russian tubes are good, and matched (the 6N6P), while others aren't (the 6S45P), so I am curious how the 6S4P will behave. Please let us now about your experience...but if the experience is to good to be true, than please let me know by PM, as not to increase the demand, and price, for the tube :D

I do not know if you searched, but Shoog has built an amplifier with the 6AS7 operated at 100V/100mA. With this operating points the tube biases at about -30V, so it will require a driver stage that swings some 25VRMS, which should not be hard to accomplish (I think). Still, the 12B4 may be unable to the task, as it's mu is of only 6. (I don't know the mu of the 5687, never found this tube going for peanuts, so haven't bought it).

Good luck, Erik

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.