• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Questions about first tube PSU!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok, I think I have finally come to the point where I need to ask the experts. Do you think I can use a 6CA4 (or in general the regulators with 350 VAC plate maximum) with a 350 VAC secondary connected via two diodes in a hybrid Graetz configuration and a capacitor input filtering with C1 < 1uF? at worse case, we can assume that line regulation can be +- 10% as well. Is this pushing the tube too hard? This really leads to my second question of what will change in my PSUD2 simulation when putting the two diodes between the transformer and the rectifier tube?

Thank you so much!

Tom:

Thanks for your help. So, you think the voltage is okay? The current will be well under spec. I have read in the archives about running PSUD2 twice and averaging the results, but I guess my question is where is this applicable? perhaps before the first capactitor and output voltage, or all current and voltage measurements? Things I want to check are PIV, voltage across each capacitor, max inductor current, and output voltage given a constant current source.

Also, can I just use a high wattage dropping resistor in series with a potentiometer to load test the actual psu before hooking it up to the rest of my project? Is there a standard way of dealing with these high wattages when testing tube psus?

Thanks again!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.