• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Anywhere in Hong Kong...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you can get a good guide and interpreter you might consider the TJ factory in Tianjin China. This factory is located not too far from Beijing.
Not really on the tour route. If you can get in you will be very amazed.
Check out the info on the DIYHIFI site.

Good luck

Hi All,

Yes, the Tak Fat building is great to visit. I also found some great headphone deals at Kingsound Audio System Company, Unit 1217, Era plaza, 39 Sai Yee Street, Mong Kok. No demos here, though.

Diyhifisupply are now relocated in Fo Tan, in the New Territories, and are well worth a visit. Brian has got some very interesting new products in the pipeline and you can also get to hear Guido Tent's excellent new CDP there. Address details are on the front page of the website and a map is here: http://www.diyhifisupply.com/images/Fotan.JPG. For me, it was only a 40 minute journey from Causeway Bay (on the Island) when I've visited, and you can also visit the sights in the nearby town of Sha Tin, including the magnificent 10 000 Buddhas Monastery (Man Fat Sze).

For some good high end stuff, try Carry On Hi-Fi, Flat 11, 18F, Pakpolee Commercial Centre, 1A-1K, Sai Yeung Choi Street, Mong Kok. The proprietor was kind enough to do a demo of some Stax Omega II cans, which I will never forget (and will one day afford!!).

Finally, I had a great time browsing though the varied offerings at the DIYClub.com.hk at Flat 10, 2F, Prosperity Building (also known as the Tak Fat building) on 61 Tung Choi Street, Mong Kok as mentioned previously.

All the places in Mong Kok are only 5 mins walk from each other, and you'd be daft not to head up to Fo Tan and then return via Mong Kok for an afternoon if you're visiting HK.

HTH

Jon

Hi,

I am in Hong Kong and would not recommend buying Tube Gears/Tubes in Hong Kong. Most of the Tube addicts in Hong Kong are buying tubes in ebay or online shops in US/Europe. The tube shops in HK are in general not very honest. THe prices are in general much higher than those available in eaby or online shops. Be care for remark tube also.

For tube gears, beware of those inexpensive amp made in China. Some of them are of low quality. Nevertheless, you may consider the following:

1. Buying DIYHIFI items
2. Buying ASL gears. Available in Ap Liu Street (Shop name Ko Wah ). ASL price in HK would be Cheaper.
3. Some headphones may be cheaper.
4. Some Hi Fi gears may be cheaper

In general, High End diy parts in HK are more expensive than the price in US. That is why I need to buy DIY parts online.

Hope this can help.

andy2667 said:
I am in Hong Kong and would not recommend buying Tube Gears/Tubes in Hong Kong. Most of the Tube addicts in Hong Kong are buying tubes in ebay or online shops in US/Europe. The tube shops in HK are in general not very honest. THe prices are in general much higher than those available in eaby or online shops. Be care for remark tube also.

Well, I'm in HK as well (at the moment) and agree with all the above...

The stuff on HKTUBEAUDIO is well out of date - I was taken round Mong Kok & Apliu Street by an tubeophile HK-native colleague. I found that most shops (I visitied about 15) were HUGELY overpriced - selling second hand, very heaviliy used, GEC KT88s at silly prices, and new China 300Bs (ordinary ones) at USD 200+. Lots of (slightly) re-badged Chinese & Russian tubes - nothing too out of the ordinary...

A certain amount of "back-street doctoring" was still going on, with guys recapping using Jensen caps etc... and some silly prices being asked as a result. My colleage no longer buys locally...

I did however get some nice NOS Cornell Dublier 400uF/500VDC caps at USD 1.50 each (selling on eBay [not me] with USD 36 BIN + USD 15 P&P for 4) - they seem to test OK and will be great for PSUs, and some very cool heatshrink in lots of sizes & colours for about USD 1 /metre.

Not a lot else. However ,it was a fascinating few hours in 30C & 95% humitity with a bit of rain in hugely crowded narrow streets with stacks of neon etc. over the road... Think Blade Runner. The street markets are still extremely lively, the people (mostly) charming & helpful, and a great way of spending an afternoon...

...but not somewhere to buy tubes, at least not any more...

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the on the spot feedback! I was wondering where you found the caps, please (I'll be in HK in a couple of weeks).

If you see this message in time, I recommend dinner at The Spring Deer, 42, Mody Road, Kowloon. 2366 4012. Great Peking Duck, and if you like Tsing Tao.............. :D

Cheers

Jon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.