• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

B+ Delay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What do you think about just putting a dpst switch in line with the 5v winding so the 5v4g doesn't rectify, and then just closing the switch after about 30 seconds. Will the 5v4g act as an open without 5v applied? I'm new to tube audio, and this is my first project. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

Dave

Attachments

• ultra.jpg
    ultra.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 503
A switch is unnecessary and could be dangerous. The 5V4 has a cathode sleeve; so, it's inherently slow starting. While there is nothing exciting about 5 VAC, you are ignoring the fact that the winding is (SIC) at B+ potential. An "ordinary" toggle switch could easily arc over to chassis. :hot:

habsrock93 said:
What do you think about just putting a dpst switch in line with the 5v winding so the 5v4g doesn't rectify, and then just closing the switch after about 30 seconds. Will the 5v4g act as an open without 5v applied? I'm new to tube audio, and this is my first project. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

Dave

an easier way is to put a switch in the earth centre tap

bill

Poindexter said:
Everything you said is correct, and I'm disappointed with myself for not thinking of it sooner, but there's one kicker in it.

What will be the effect on the rectifier of having full voltage on the plates with a cold cathode?

There may be a possibility for cathode stripping. However, that's how they've been running them all along back in the good ol' days, and I don't recall ever reading that it was a problem.

However, Hg diodes are a whole 'nother story. These must have filament preheating before you hit 'em with the HV, otherwise, you will ruin them in no time.

Otherwise, I use preheating if using a SS power supply. With SS diodes, the HV comes up within a second or two. Not enough time to allow cathodes to get hot enough to pull significant current. Otherwise, doanworrybouddit

Miles Prower said:

There may be a possibility for cathode stripping. However, that's how they've been running them all along back in the good ol' days, and I don't recall ever reading that it was a problem.

Irradiated doseage strip-tease ?
I do recall some 1950's TV sets with line o/p tubes which had a skull and crossbones on it and for worse no colour.
True true..it wasn't a problem. Generous coating of emissive materials were put on directly heates cathodes, even some were radioactive, manufacturers went to whatever trouble to race ahead of the competition.

richj

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.