• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Elekit TU-870 help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A work colleague on another online forum has purchased a tube amp kit in Japan an Elekit TU-870 http://www.elekit.co.jp/material/english_product_html/TU-870.php?page=1&ssi=1

The trouble is, the instructions are in Japanese and it is set up for mains power of 100 volts. Like me, this person lives in Australia, so speaks English and we have 240 volts mains power.

The plea for help was on my work chat site, so I do not know exactly what electronics experience this colleague has, but I have said that I would try to offer him some assistance. He has not posted a schematic, so if someone has one, that would be a great start. As the kit is very cheap (about $160 US) I am assuming it won't have a multi-tap power transformer, so some power supply rework will probably be required.

If anybody has any information on this kit amplifier such as a schematic or a link to a site that describes the build would be a great help.

Thanks,

Chris

Yes, that is the obvious thing that we have said to him. He has asked the manufacturer, and the kit is only for the Japanese market so no English (or Jinglish) instructions from them. They wondered how the kit ended up in Australia. I also suggested that since I happen to have a 240-100 volt step down transformer at home he could just give the kit to me!

Thanks again, any further assistance welcome :)

Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
There must be relatively inexpensive 240V:100V stepdown or auto transformers available in OZ if you look around - this would be the quickest, easiest and probably least expensive approach..

The kit looks like fun, other posted comments not withstanding. Something good to learn on at least which I think was the point here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.