• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

813 Project has begun !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All,
So I made the official dive into a monoblock 813 SE project, and plunked down hard-earned cash for a set of output transformers from Heyboer. They should be arriving this time next week; so I will be sure to submit some photos.
In review, I will be using a 2C22 (7193) tube as my driver; although if I feel the need for higher gain I was thinking of going two-stage with a 6SN7. Any thoughts on this ? I figured that I would start with the 2C22 on the breadboard and see what I think...
The Output Transformers are 6k, with a 40% UL tap.
For the power supply, I will be using a 400/0/400 400VA unit from Antek (which makes great stuff IMO), wired in series. The 800v will go into a bridge, into a CLCLC filter for around 900v. I had originally planned on using a full bridge of 6W4's, but perhaps I should use a hybrid instead ? Two damper diodes (for slow start), and two pieces of sand. Thoughts ? Suggestions ?
I'll take the 400v out of the CT to use for my driver tube B+.
A question here: How do I determine the voltage that I will be getting out of the CT (so I can plan my filter stages, and load line for the driver tube B+) ? Will it be 400v, or 1/2 the output voltage of the bridge ?
The chokes (10H and 8H) are custom wound from Heyboer as well.
I will be using a SS regulated supply for the heaters on the power tubes.

Attachments

• 813_psu.jpg
    813_psu.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 336
Ciao.

Been there. My (triode strapped) 813 was running at 900V/100mA, parafeed with 10K OPT. I was getting something like 15W out of it.

I suggest you stay with a 2 stages amp. I used a 801A and a 1:2 step IT. An option can also be the 3C24 by EIMAC.

My first PSU was 700V (CT) into an hybrid GZ34 bridge for 750V or so. I switched to 2000V CT and mercury half wave rectifers into LCLC. Much better I'd say.

OH! You are using PSUD... not sure I got your Q properly.

SS for the filaments are going to be very hot, use a very large heatsink. Now I am using a LC there too.

Ciao
Gianluca

Thanks for your help. I will take your advice and stick to a single driver stage. I think I will parallel the two stages of the 6SN7.
As far as the power supply goes, I really want to say with 6.3v heated rectifiers. Also, I do not want to go much higher than 850v on the secondaries, as I need to filter down the CT to no more than 400v.

Thanks again,
Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.