• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Stupid PAS-2 Pot Questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm slowly rebuilding a Dynaco PAS-2, and one of the parts I'd like to replace is the volume pot. I ordered the appropriate Alps dual gang pot, but when I went to install it I noticed that the original pot has extra tabs on the back with film caps soldered to them. The Alps pot only has the standard three tabs. Will the Alps pot work? Can I ignore the extra tab? I'm having a hard time figuring out what the purpose of the extra tabs is!

And while we're on the subject of pots, can anyone recommend a good high quality replacement for the PAS-2 balance control pot? I can't find a 750k dual pot. Can I substitute a 500k pot? Will it change the sound?

Thanks,
neddyboy

That's not stupid question. The extra tab works in conjunction with the "Loudness" switch to add a bass increase at low volume settings. Most of us in this forum would suggest removing the loudness function anyway. You can delete the two caps and two fixed resistors involved in that function too. So, you can go ahead and put your Alps in.

On the next point, others here will disagree, but I rarely need a balance control. I would just leave it out and wire the inputs directly to your new Alps pot. If you do use a balance pot, you will need one that offers zero (or very low) resistance across half its control range, so that at the "12:00" position there is no added resistance from either section. If you find a 500K unit that does that, it will probably work.

Neddyboy,

You are going to have problems sourcing a 500 K balance control. 250 K is as high as I see.

However, you can make your own control from a shorting switch and metal film resistors. You'll need a 2 deck 11 position shorting part. 5 positions either side of center should prove adequate.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.