• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Thoughts Of Modifying My First Tube Amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My gut reaction and the correct decision I made was going into UL p-p parallel pairs. The inherent problems created by the output transformer is radically reduced, bandwidth improved, but better dynamic drive circuitry plus a serious psu is required, upping the building costs. The weight with a larger chassis is also upwards. My 150+150W amp weighs in more than 80kg.
What's around in kit form ? Manley labs and Smith/Mesa Boogie produced UL p-p parallel o/p stage amps but that was some years ago and more towards MI but the assembly/learning curve is same.
Somemone out there must be doing kit octet amps using cheaper EL34's or 6L6's. There's no point using KT88 is parallel pairs, a waste of money unless you deliberately like your music extremely loud.. From a constructors view, one can easily get 75W with 400V B+, i.e using standard 450V electroytic caps.

Dan having already forked out several $$$ for an SE, looks like having to spend the same amount for something else and regretfully those 845's made redundant.

richj

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.