• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Are these vintage vacuum tubes suitable.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
for using in amplifier circuits? I had the good fortune(?) to get these at work before they were tossed in the dumpster. As a relative newcomer to DIY, and hoping to progress to building amps for my personal use, I am curious to know if any of these are good candidates. All are NOS. I have six 812A, 4 RCA and 2 GE, which I believe are RCA made. I have two GE 1623(pre WWII, in original boxes), two GE GL-809, two GE 10Y(ultra rare, I hear), and two Tung Sol 53. I did a search and found a couple of references, but nothing too in depth.

Thanks for any help!

Hi,
10Y can deliver 1.8W
I listened 10Y with 6J5GT at input SE amp and gas rectifier i think AX50
was maybe the best...
output transformer was realy huge and from excelent quality (low capacitance, very high primary inductance more than 100H...)
off course hand made
(10 is similar but different type)
also is very interesting for the preamplifier design...
thanks

69CamaroSS396 said:
I am curious to know if any of these are good candidates. All are NOS. I have six 812A, 4 RCA and 2 GE, which I believe are RCA made. I have two GE 1623(pre WWII, in original boxes), two GE GL-809, two GE 10Y(ultra rare, I hear), and two Tung Sol 53. I did a search and found a couple of references, but nothing too in depth.

The 809s might make a good choice for Class A2 SET monoblocks. They'll need a positive bias voltage to establish a useable Q-Point for SE audio amplification. Drive 'em with a DC coupled MOSFET driver and these just might be real good.

The 812s, however, will probably have to be used as Class AB2. In SE they need a rather high Zl= 8.6K. I was going to use them for a Class A2 SET, however, Jack at Electraprint couldn't guarantee that gapped OPTs that can match 8600 : 8.0 would perform up to Hi-Fi standards. Although, as a SE guitar amp, it just might have something. PP 812s would make one helluvabig audio rig. Just might be the thing if you need lotsawatts.

As for the rest, see Frank's

As Miles postulated, the 809 can indeed be employed successfully in A2 SET mode. The amp in my avatar is of my own design and employs SE 809`s in A2 with DC on all the heaters and it connects my loudspeaker voice coils to a tone source in heaven. 3.1 watts RMS per channel with 18 watts PD (which runs the 25 watt tube nice and easy). I drive them with a step down interstage xfmer. You could use your 10Y as a driver with an IT. I use a 1619 in triode mode. My circuit is unusual. You could call it a monkey, parafeed, ultrapath. I prefer to call it magic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.