• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I borrowed from a friend a 4.7uF Mundorg capacitor. Is it OK to try?

PS. Hum is gone. Bad ground wiring.

Good news about solving your hum. If you mean 4u7 in the output position, that's also legit. When you want same bass and upper bass "feel" between systems calculate the RC time (translates to frequency) of your output cap and next stage's input load (each system's poweramp) to be roughly comparable in phase shift.

RC High-pass Filter Design Tool

A friend suggested me the following changes ...
Is it OK to try it?

Attachments

• 6V6bufferCCT (proposal).jpg
    6V6bufferCCT (proposal).jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 727
I think that design change would put the grid at at more than -200v relative to the cathode. With rather tragic consequences.

Built as is, the cathode follower version is quite stunning. I was unsure of the extra signal path capacitor, but can honestly say it is not an issue.

Just build as Salas Shows, you wont be disappointed
Cheers
Ian

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
@skrstic

You could use a 50k log volume pot or less, if your signal sources are at ease with such values, so to achieve wider bandwidth if you like. But I wouldn't recommend any other area for changes as Ian wrote. There are Tocos 50k log pots offered online in good prices. They are subjectively well blending parts in this. Most Tocos on offer are linear pots so watch for that crucial detail in the various sellers descriptions.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I think that design change would put the grid at at more than -200v relative to the cathode. With rather tragic consequences.

It would lower the valve's now bias current roughly by four times rather. Whatever practical changes to the cathode resistor(s) values would not compensate a much raised THD result vs the original topology. Including the raised presence of higher harmonics than the second one. Some loss of level would take place too when for same I-bias.

Salas: I read your well written comment from 2008 about your A/B test comparing the B1 and the 6V6 preamp, and I recognised what you meant with the JFET sound. I would love to try to build this 6V6 preamp. Problem is I am planning on five channels, because I hate speaker level crossovers that muffle the detail of my beautiful horns. Also, I need to learn how to work with tubes from scratch...
Any build guide for n00bs, like with the Firstwatt amps?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Salas: I read your well written comment from 2008 about your A/B test comparing the B1 and the 6V6 preamp, and I recognised what you meant with the JFET sound. I would love to try to build this 6V6 preamp. Problem is I am planning on five channels, because I hate speaker level crossovers that muffle the detail of my beautiful horns. Also, I need to learn how to work with tubes from scratch...
Any build guide for n00bs, like with the Firstwatt amps?

No such step by step construction guide with follow me photos was ever posted here unfortunately. There is no PCB or standard components and chassis, even if someone would have made one such guide, it would be just his choices example.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its an old project which I made from parts I mainly had around so I don't have BOM notes. Only what's written on the schematics i.e. values. If someone of the recent builders has a comprehensive BOM he is welcome to publish it and I will link it to post#1