• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I got rid of the update table, the piles were pushing the ceiling..

What's the progress from SSHV1, lower output impedance still and more linear phase behaviour? Or higher power capability?

Less max current actually since the CCS uses faster more delicate Mosfets. More bandwidth, flatter Zo, and better drift. Can go to 380Vout.

To sing like the nightingale is an expression for the excellence of someone's vocal quality. Not referring to the comic but to Kondo San who auditioned his audio system at the Milanese operahouse was a little vague indeed. Never mind the bollocks but the point is this regulator does it for me, final design or not.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Salas, Bas, Buzzforb -

(I.E., anybody who has built one of these as Anode follower in the basically stock configuration)

Can you measure and tell me the voltage at the anode?

I'm wanting to breadboard this and see how it works, but I can't easily get a 340v B+ from my spare parts. Closer to 300, so the anode resistor will have to be changed.

(Also, I am interested in trying the Janus shunt reg from Tubecad, and it has a max output of 300v. Janus Shunt Regulator Kit And here is the manual - http://www.tubecad.com/Product_PDFs/Janus Rev A.pdf)

Is there any reason why I couldn't use a .47uf or a 1.0uf cap on the output? Again, I have no .68 on hand.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
About 215 or 220V from plate to ground I think, but its installed now can't open it for just a quick confirm.

You are altering the bias point with such changes you realize. Let me see what's maybe worthwhile at 300V B+ will let you know fast.

You can use some cap value sufficient for the input impedance value of your system's amp. What is that figure?

Finally, what an 6L6 is looking for in a 6V6 thread?:D

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
@6L6

Try 8K 10W anode load 300V B+ and 500R cathode resistor. Trim those for about 140 to 150V from plate to ground and about 10v cathode bias. Not as symmetric on chart lines spaces as the other bias point, looks decent enough though.

Let me know your amp's input impedance to see about the output cap.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Wow! That was fast. Thanks! :D :D :D

Salas - Well, I can make a 340v supply, and I guess that I should. I was hoping to avoid using that particular transformer. (It's big)

As for power amp, it's going to be either a F5 or Millett DCPP. (There are 2 other amps in various stages, but those mentioned are complete right now.) I've a set of transistors for a F5T, but the more I think about it, the more I want an F4... Especially with the gain this circuit has.

Buzzforb - Yes, the SSHV2 looks nice indeed! However, I am not particularly interested if there is no circuit board. Are any available? If so, from who?

Salas said:
Finally, what an 6L6 is looking for in a 6V6 thread?:)

I must be lost.;) ;) ;)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Salas, Since i have the tubes, what bout a Flea Watt 6V6. I am going to have some high dB drivers soon and would like to try. Any recommendation on output transformer.

Talking about a low power amp, SE or PP? 8-10K primary usually.
Gingertube has a nice Baby Huey or Baby Huey like American output 6V6 version. And there is Poinz's Audio Tropic 6V6 Musical Machine amp of course.