• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

Heater wiring done. (PS always handy to post pics. Makes one spot errors. I thought brown black red was 100 Ohm (screen to plate). But it is 1k ofcourse) Better put a 100-200 Ohm in correct?

PXL_20230315_125522901.jpg

Answer: To have an external heatsink to house the 21st Century Maida cascode mosfet. (I have a non neurochrome pcb) The board also has a Morgan Jones thingy onboard which I have read many say does the same as two resistors and a capacitor. O well. But it does raise the heater above cathode potential.
It's my first surface mount work..with normal soldering iron...so a little blobby...but it works.
PXL_20230315_160243849.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230315_161040265.jpg
    PXL_20230315_161040265.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 67
  • PXL_20230315_162110357.jpg
    PXL_20230315_162110357.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 68
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Good to have friends!

PS. Cathode bypass caps. What do you guys use? I have panasonic fc and nichicon fine gold in my parts bin with values suitable for this project.

Another favourite pastime: prepping (spent hours trying to find four 15k resistors) View attachment 1153651
For anode load Mills 12W, for cathode I use if power needed Mills 12W but if doesn't needs power I use Amtrans AMRG CARBON film or Tants if can afford, bypass cathode resistor BG or Elna Silmic II.

Last edited:
For sure it is not "needed" but apart from the cathode spec. I did some research...(bathroom type).

Allen Wright when asked why he said this:
"Nope. It is to 'lift' the heaters of the tubes above their cathodes - reverse biasing the inherent 'micro-tube' that exists between the heater and cathode itself and makes a surprising sonic improvent!"
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/thre ... ost-712662

http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/heater.html
"Heater Elevation
Elevation means referencing the heater supply to a DC voltage other than ground or zero volts. The heaters still operate at 6.3V or whatever, but this floats on top of the elevation voltage. Some valve stages such as cathode followers require the heater supply to be elevated to avoid exceeding the valve's Vhk(max) rating. But even when not explicitly needed, elevation can reduce hum in AC-heated circuits by reducing or saturating the leakage current between heater and cathode.* *See: Cooper, C. E. (1944). Valve Hum. Electronic Engineering, (July), pp72-5.

https://audioxpress.com/article/the-int ... cuum-tubes
"Some RCA data books recommend that you make the heater positive with respect to the cathode, ideally by 40 V or so, presumably to minimize noise. So as with everything in life, there are tradeoffs."

But we're dc heating. So might not even reduce noise...

We don't need more than 1W power for the 390Ω cathode resistor in the G3X.
Yeah. I have a nice little 3W Sfernice WW (RB59) . That cost me 30 cent a piece (But even then I was ripped off. Saw them for 15 cents elsewhere). Alixpress is asking 6 euro a piece for!!!:clown: Not sure if exactly the same. B

PXL_20230315_175711772.jpg

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited: