• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

Congrats for the build. What about the SQ of the Fostex output coupling caps?

Oh, what a wonderful cap! Hard to describe--the transparency and speed of Teflon with the warmth and richness of oil. Totally balanced, crisp top end but never bright or etched, nothing jumps out, rich deep soundstage. Pity they stopped making them. Madisound still has 3.3uF in stock. Only drawback is 250VDC rating, but for a preamp that's usually not a problem. Run don't walk. ;-)

Reactions: 1 user
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Cout 250V voltage rating should be good enough when the bias current is nominal. Thus voltage drop across the plate resistor has fully developed. Same for rail elements like RC filters. Since its on the plate node it will see about 165V DC + AC output swing peak.
I put 400V Cout schematic note rating to be >B+ safe in case of current source heating which is soft start and takes significantly longer time to develop full emission.

I have been listening all evening to this. I hear nothing wrong and a lot right! Tubes are nothing special, some Groove Tube Russian-made guitar amp tubes. HIP Baroque bands are tangy but never "screechy," piano is full and rich, classic jazz recordings have great "PRAT" and deep, clean bass. Gain is perfect for my system. Everything I put on sounds natural and "right." I'm waiting for that one recording that comes out "wrong" but haven't found it yet. ;-) I have some Bendix 5992's on the way. Eager to hear them.

Reactions: 1 user
Transformer mounted.
PXL_20230314_105417054.jpg

Bell end is standard. Drilled holes and glued stainless mesh. Initially for a friend in South Africa because of the heat. Just for looks in this amp though.
PXL_20230314_105412565.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users