• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What part of DIY do you LOVE?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
When a colleague at work says, "I'm sure I've got some valves somewhere, would you like them? I think they're KT66s and EL37s" (Happened last week, two NOS Marconi KT66, two NOS Mullard EL37.)

Other than that, the joy of an amplifier not actually exploding when you switch it on is pretty nice, and if music comes out, that's a bonus.

But the nicest has to be when my other half objected to me removing the big ugly MDF prototype horrors to put the LS3/5a back. The reason? The horrors (that she'd previously complained about) sounded nicer.

zigzagflux said:
Bringing over your friends and having them listen.

**Eyes get big as saucers**

"You built that ?! I never heard anything like it !"

:)

Yosh! Someone once said, what's that? so we skipped back a little, I've never heard that before they said, after hearing it for a second time.

My favourite part is listening to the wonderful contraption you have just contructed and having it sound wonderful. Second to that is dreaming, when you get all excited about ideas you could build.

Originally posted by EC8010
But the nicest has to be when my other half objected to me removing the big ugly MDF prototype horrors to put the LS3/5a back. The reason? The horrors (that she'd previously complained about) sounded nicer.

You are a lucky man!

Me, I enjoy most to figure out why things behave like they do and actually build something with my own hands.

I love when everything just falls into place, music sucks you in track after track and sounds DELICIOUS (very near an orgasm, a perfectly backed steak, the moment after that exam you were so uncertain about and went beyond all expectations, a joint after months of celibacy, changing monthly contact lenses after three months........)

Simon

I love the sound of a good-sounding system; it's a major + if you've built it yourself and can build more (other gems, all in the league of pure enjoyment but with their own character).

Enough for now --- straight to bed for the sake of sleep and tomorrow,

Simon

Knowing that what I have built basically is 1 of 1
Also being able to make changes to my DIY gear on a whim, drastic changes if wanted.
Bieng able to build gear that run tubes that haven't been fired up since the 1920's..
The entire process is art work & I enjoy seeing & hearing what people have been able to come up with from a simple or even complex idea.
I am sure GOD only has tube gear aloud in the after life..sorry sand people..
Running tubes that are not avalible in new production..
The sharing of ideas & helping one another to achieve the higher goals they seek, I see this alot in DIY audio & is very cool indeed.
Watching my wife shake her head at all the little USPS boxes that come on a steady flow, & always opening them up with a huge smile most of the time..

Turning it on for the first time and not having to grab the fire extinguisher, checking the voltages and all are within 5%. Playing music through your creation for the first time and having that HOLY CRAP, it sounds BETTER than you ever thought possible reaction.

Lastly, going to a Hifi store or show, spending 3-4 hours there, and walking out knowing that you built something that sounds better than everything you heard, and being relieved you're on your way home to hear it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.