• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

300b

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I have never heard a NOS WE 300B so I cannot give a full answer.

However, I have new production WE 300Bs and can tell you that these are very, very good sounding valves and I personally can say that they are worth the money, to me.

They replace TJ mesh plate (high version) and the differences are clear, with WE's better in just about every way.

Hope this helps.

I would say cost wasn't an issue in the old days. Today, the business people count every fraction of the penny. We have so many managers, vice presidents, and accountant to check our works/output every day.

In those day, quality was the major concern but today it is the pricing.

That really makes a lot of differences.

Johnny

Some persons say that recent 300b the WE are constructed in China and that the remarkable difference is regarding 300b the Nos.

They are now made in Arkansas. The quality is still high and the prices are somewhat reduced.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazi...ment/1201/300b/

I'm not sure I'd trust any comparisons made with that rig.

why there is satisfied people that 3.000.euro for one pair of WE300b of 1950?

Generally, for those people that kind of money isn't a lot for an incomparably made tube that could well give up to 20,000 hours of service and the nature of the market proves that they are probably the best there are. Passing it off as hype, self-delusion, or prestige-seeking contributes nothing to the discussion.

Well, I've seen so-called comparisons of various types done with no control (I think that Thorsten Loesch has published at least one)- a controlled test is no more expensive, but of course, it doesn't necessarily give the desired outcome...

I've never, ever seen any acceptable hi-fi music-related scientifically-controlled test. By acceptable, I mean one that would pass a peer review for being statistically relevent. Every "test" I've ever seen, whether it favors an "audiophool's" outlook or that of the "scientist/engineer", has only amounted to an opinion fest that wouldn't even pass Al Gore's standard for science.

John

I had the opportunity to listen to 50's WE 300B (my friend has a hoard), new production WE 300B, and generic chinese - on the same amp, on the same setup.

While there is audible differences favoring the 50's 300B, I won't, being a cheapskate, "invest" on a 50's one. For the new production WE 300B, I wouldn't really care, and I'll stick to my generic chinese (this is an OLD chinese 300B). But that doesn'tmean the new production WE 300B isn't better than this chinese 300B.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.