Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

300b
300b
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2007, 08:34 PM   #11
kmtang is offline kmtang  Canada
diyAudio Member

I would say cost wasn't an issue in the old days. Today, the business people count every fraction of the penny. We have so many managers, vice presidents, and accountant to check our works/output every day.

In those day, quality was the major concern but today it is the pricing.

That really makes a lot of differences.

Johnny
Old 17th May 2007, 09:11 PM   #12
luigilamarca is offline luigilamarca  Italy
diyAudio Member

thanks for all replay, but ........
is someone to the world that has made a real comparative test on amplificator the two we 300b new and we 300 nos ?
I pray there you say what you have felt to us ?
thanks
Old 17th May 2007, 10:03 PM   #13
EZ_Angus is offline EZ_Angus  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Default check it out!

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...ent/1201/300b/
Old 17th May 2007, 10:19 PM   #14
SY is offline SY  United States
On Hiatus

300b
Quote:
I would say cost wasn't an issue in the old days.
Yes it was. I'm an old guy and I remember well.
Old 17th May 2007, 11:55 PM   #15
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Some persons say that recent 300b the WE are constructed in China and that the remarkable difference is regarding 300b the Nos.
They are now made in Arkansas. The quality is still high and the prices are somewhat reduced.

Quote:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazi...ment/1201/300b/
I'm not sure I'd trust any comparisons made with that rig.

Quote:
why there is satisfied people that 3.000.euro for one pair of WE300b of 1950?
Generally, for those people that kind of money isn't a lot for an incomparably made tube that could well give up to 20,000 hours of service and the nature of the market proves that they are probably the best there are. Passing it off as hype, self-delusion, or prestige-seeking contributes nothing to the discussion.
Old 18th May 2007, 12:07 AM   #16
On Hiatus

300b
Quote:
Passing it off as hype, self-delusion, or prestige-seeking contributes nothing to the discussion.
...other than a dose of reality. I'll eat those words if someone has done *controlled* tests showing otherwise.
Old 18th May 2007, 12:53 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'll eat those words if someone has done *controlled* tests showing otherwise.
Any meaningful kind of controlled testing would be prohibitively expensive. It certainly wouldn't be worth the time and money just to obtain the privilege of calling someone else a fool.

John
Old 18th May 2007, 12:57 AM   #18
On Hiatus

300b
Well, I've seen so-called comparisons of various types done with no control (I think that Thorsten Loesch has published at least one)- a controlled test is no more expensive, but of course, it doesn't necessarily give the desired outcome...
Old 18th May 2007, 01:11 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Well, I've seen so-called comparisons of various types done with no control (I think that Thorsten Loesch has published at least one)- a controlled test is no more expensive, but of course, it doesn't necessarily give the desired outcome...
I've never, ever seen any acceptable hi-fi music-related scientifically-controlled test. By acceptable, I mean one that would pass a peer review for being statistically relevent. Every "test" I've ever seen, whether it favors an "audiophool's" outlook or that of the "scientist/engineer", has only amounted to an opinion fest that wouldn't even pass Al Gore's standard for science.

John
Old 18th May 2007, 01:25 AM   #20
arnoldc is offline arnoldc  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to arnoldc
I had the opportunity to listen to 50's WE 300B (my friend has a hoard), new production WE 300B, and generic chinese - on the same amp, on the same setup.

While there is audible differences favoring the 50's 300B, I won't, being a cheapskate, "invest" on a 50's one. For the new production WE 300B, I wouldn't really care, and I'll stick to my generic chinese (this is an OLD chinese 300B). But that doesn'tmean the new production WE 300B isn't better than this chinese 300B.

300bHide this!Advertise here!