Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

6146W Power Amplifier. Please help!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2007, 04:17 PM   #21
SY is offline SY  United States
On Hiatus

Default more nostalgia, somewhat on topic

NB the Heath DX-100, a very popular transmitter, used paralleled 6146 in the output, but p-p 1625 in the plate modulator.
Old 15th May 2007, 04:36 PM   #22
Sheldon is offline Sheldon  United States
diyAudio Member

This one might work well:

http://www.tubeaudio.8m.com/807/807.html

Sheldon
Old 16th May 2007, 12:32 AM   #23
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My major AM experience was with an old Globe King, 811A in push-pull.
If it was the same one that I had, the push pull 811A's were in the modulator. The RF final was a 4-250. Of course I couldn't leave that alone, so in went a 4-400, and some SS rectifiers (both from a laser scrapped at work).

6146's got a bad rap in the audio world from their use in the first generation Ampeg SVT, a 300+ watt bass guitar amp. It used eight 10 inch speakers. The resonant impedance peak of the speakers was within the range of a bass guitar. The amp also fed the screens too much voltage. Combine these traits with the propensity of many users to set the volume knob on "KILL" and you get fireworks. One famous display was at a televised Rolling Stones concert in the late 1960's. Flames shot out of the amplifier for us all to see on TV.

The second generation SVT used 6550's and a bigger OPT. I personally saw one of these catch fire, and performed the autopsy after its death. The user had plugged a 300 watt amp into 100 watts worth of speakers, which lasted about 10 minutes. When the speakers went open at full throttle, bad stuff happened.

The 6146 does not make a good triode or UL amp due to the low screen voltage rating. My testing has shown that you can't violate that rating without inviting the glow of death. You could use it for a pentode mode amp and the previously mentioned Ampeg squeezed 300+ watts RMS from 6 tubes. If you ran 2 tubes in the 50 to 60 watt range they should be fine.
Old 16th May 2007, 12:43 AM   #24
cerrem is offline cerrem  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes... I agree with tubelab....
The 6146 is not happy when it sees over 250V on it's screens....
The old SVT amps that had 6146... i use to put a cheap quicky zener diode, resisitor and cap for each tube socket.... This way I locked in the 250V on the screen...
I was playing guitar one night and I was really close to my bass-player's SVT and I got sprayed with sparks when the 6146 tubes went off.... thats why I did that little mod .....
If you build a nice S.S. 250V regulator for the screen voltage, that would be good if you plan on using the 6146 in a safe and reasonable manner....
I believe if you tie it as a TRIODE, you may be able to apply 400V max....

Chris
Old 16th May 2007, 12:44 AM   #25
SY is offline SY  United States
On Hiatus

Quote:
If it was the same one that I had, the push pull 811A's were in the modulator.
That's right, I was unclear. V70D (8005) finals.
Old 22nd May 2007, 05:04 AM   #26
Boeing is offline Boeing  Japan
diyAudio Member

Dear all ! At the meantime, I have finished this amp. with 5842 Raytheon + 6146W Raytheon+ interstage transformer+3.5KOhms OT, triod-single- end connection. It sounds clear and detail at mid. freq. , but high freq. is not high enough ( I think ), low freq. is light and not deep enough , sound stage is not large enough too...Please let me know how to modify it.
Thank you.
Regards
Old 22nd May 2007, 09:15 AM   #27
ray_moth is offline ray_moth  Indonesia
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I don't regard SE amps as being rich in bass at the best of times. It's not exactly the best amp for listening to heavy rock (or heavy anything, for that matter).

Also, it's tempting to blame the OPT when an SE amp is particularly light on bass. The OPT needs to be huge, heavy and suitably air-gapped for SE. Your speakers also need to be suitably sensitive.

6146W Power Amplifier. Please help!Hide this!Advertise here!