Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 27th November 2021, 01:52 PM   #11
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Grounding the tab on the 5 volt regulator is OK in this case. Grounding the tab on the dual Schottky rectifier is NOT. Fortunately, it only needs a small heat sink.

Your washer was probably biting through the solder mask on the board near the mounting hole.

The mounting hole between the regulator and the 300B socket has a gold ring around it which is isolated. There is a space around that ring, and a large solid copper trace under solder mask nearby. The copper trace is the 5 volt supply feed to the output tube heaters. It runs on both sides of the board, and is huge since it would carry over 5 amps in a 2A3 build.

A mounting bolt, washer and nut must stay in the gold area, be insulated, or made of non conductive material to avoid shorting out the 5 volt supply. If the bolt and nut are small enough, leave the washer out or use a non conductive washer.
Old 28th November 2021, 12:58 AM   #12
Pooch is offline Pooch  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, I left all the washers out on that side of the board and all is working. I'll replace with nylon washers on both sides, later. Thanks to all for the help.
Old 28th November 2021, 01:07 AM   #13
Pooch is offline Pooch  United States
diyAudio Member

Something else I'd like to add. After I hooked up the cheap Habor Freight meters, for volts and bias. I couldn't get it to bias on one channel....would only come up to 8MA. So I switched the meter positions and all was well. If you use these cheap meters ( which I think are great for the price) watch out for meter failure or wire failure. It could put you on a goose chase.
  Reply to this post

No lighty up on 300bsHide this!Advertise here!