• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

need assistance on SSE build

Francois G,

you're right, forgot to mention those details, tubes for this build are JJ EL34, Jan Philips 12AT7 and Sovtek 5AR4.

OPTs are 5K with 4\8\16 ohms taps, 15w.

Thanks and regards.

Looking through the thread I did not see mention of the output tubes, the operating point and details about the output transformers (primary impedance). That might help in getting a more intelligent reply.

Without that, IMHO, your speakers present a very benign load and should do well on the 8 Ohm taps, unless your transformers reflect a low primary load for the output tubes you plan to use.

Nice work. Good luck.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
With those characteristics the 8 Ohm taps will be best for your setup, in my opinion. Your power output will be decreased unnecessarily if you use the 4 ohm speaker taps on you (mostly) 8 ohm speakers. But doing so will likely reduce distortion some and you may prefer that. Since you have these options on your transformers try both!

Choose option 1 or 2 , repeat for the second channel.

1)Mount two sets of dual banana jacks on the back and wire the common connections together and connect it to the common (0 ohm) wire on the OPT. Connect the 4 ohm wire on the OPT to the hot terminal on the 4 ohm jack and the 8 ohm wire on the OPT to the hot terminal on the 8 ohm jack set.

2)If using individual banana jacks you can mount the common one (I used black) in the center of three jacks, with one jack on one side for the 4 ohm output, and another on the opposite side for the 8 ohm output. When plugging in speakers you use the common black jack with one of the other jacks for 4 or 8 ohms.

Here is the under chassis picture of my old SSE. The chassis is far too small but I had very limited space in my Florida house. I was going to use red for the 4 ohm jack, and green for the 8 ohm jack, but only had one green jack.

Attachments

• WiredUp2_b.jpg
    WiredUp2_b.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 101
  • AmpTestRear_b.jpg
    AmpTestRear_b.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 105
update; my Tubelab SSE project is alive!

Right now it is in basic triode connection without feedback, it has been playing flawlessly from first power up and the past couple of days.

thanks for all your help here, i appreciate it.

Attachments

• SSE_5.jpg
    SSE_5.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 126
  • SSE_3.jpg
    SSE_3.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 126
  • SSE_2.jpg
    SSE_2.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 116
  • SSE_4.jpg
    SSE_4.jpg