• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Valve/tube choices and understanding the simulation charts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building an SSE (waiting for the board to reach me, so at the component collecting stage), and am being a bit dim with the simulations charts on the Tubes and Applications page;

Tubes and Applications | Tubelab

Essentially I'm not clear on what the columns are;

Tube Type - this is pretty obvious.

B+ voltage - is there a way that people estimate this from PT values? I know that different rectifier tubes make a difference, but I'm assuming there is more to it than that with chokes etc?

Load Z - I'm assuming this is the primary winding on the OPT (given the speaker load being as per the stated output value, or does this not matter? i.e. 5k/8ohm transformer with a 6ohm speaker no longer Load Z of 5k?)

Vp - Voltage but not sure what 'p' is. Plate was my guess, but it is just that.

Vk - Again voltage, but not sure what 'k' is

Rk - Resistance but still don't know what 'k' is...from the value I can see it's likely the cathode resistor. This may explain 'k' as 'cathode', but I'm guessing rather than knowing there!

Ik - Current of 'k'

Diss (idle) - power disipation at idle

Pwr Out - power out

We've then got distortion values at different points, but at this early stage I'm more trying to understand the process of choosing the glass and the bits to match it in terms of things being iside opperating values and nothing making smoke etc!

My real world situation with my initial build is that I've gone high on the PT (374bx - 375-0-375), but initially am trying to build it with some little 5w OPTs, so need lower power output numbers from higher B+ numbers.

The first thing I think I need to understand is how to work out the likely B+ values based on what bits go into the power supply - is there a simulator for this?

I've built a few vale bits over the years (5F1 clone, 18watt clone, Bottlehead Crack plus mods etc), but Im hoping to come out of this with some more first principles based understanding of what and why, rather then just buidling from a parts list because someone else said it works! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.