• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Yet another SSE first build thread!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know this is about as original as breathing or eating, but I've found all the similar threads useful in building up the motivation to get started, so I thought I'd add another example to the library! :)

My SSE board is currently winging its way from the US to the UK, and I have a shiny new Hammond 374BX sat waiting.

I'm in the process of buying up all the small components (passives etc), but am looking for tips on where to buy things like valve sockets, and any advice on the apparently allways used motor run cap for UK buyers.

I'm also interested to know what peoples thoughts are on SS vs tube rectification - my view was always that SS was better unless you want sag (guitar amps etc), but I mostly seem to see valve rectification on kits. Am I missing something? I didn't think that most audio valves cared too much about soft start, but my experience is limited. I do know that the 6L6GT in my 5F1 champ clone has lived a loooong time with a SS rectifier, and my Bottlehead Crack is SS too.

Excited to get started! :)

Due to budgetary restrictions (and an excess of impatience!) I’m starting the build with too small output transformers. My intention was, and probably still is eventually, to get 1628sea’s, but I’m starting off with some little 5w (@ 50Hz apparently) 5k/8ohm OPTs.

Given I’m using the 374bx (375-0-375) PT, are there any suggestions on starting valves?

I believe that valve based rectification drops B+, so this will help, but I’m not 100% sure on what the columns are on the Tubelab modelling charts.

My plan was to get a working amp and then worry about the OPTs as an upgrade, as if I fall in love with the concept I may look at Sowter etc. Hopefully the pair of 5w transformers will find their way into either a little desktop system with my 85fw’s, or even a stereo ‘Champ’ for guitar :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.