• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Jh4 TSE-2 Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I been watching the TSE for a while (then the TSE2 came out), but i spent a lot of time contemplating and playing with other topologies and 300b in the meantime. This will be my lil experiment and myth bust.

I used Cascoded LT3092 based CCS and LED string in another 300b amp before. So using a IXYS or sharps IC based CCS should be fine for this.

My other amp is a Cathode biased PSE 2a3 on 5842 drivers, interstages, and ultrasonic AC DHT heaters. i became very familiar with the tubes i wanted to build TSE amp around and it was THE decision point. Ig im in the camp of those who are happy with 5842 and glad it's not E88CC Cca :eek:

I'm hoping to subjectively compare with the same tubes the fixed v self bias sound, powerdrive mosfet (not blown away with interstage performance..even NC20 didnt change mind), and maybe upgrade the on board DHT heater to CC+V versus Ultrasonic AC. Gettin away from Quad dht tubes on a daily driver would be a relief. There's only 2 power tubes i want to use right now anyway (a pair of globes with top mica and without) so fixed bias is perfect. ya i have a fixation on globe DHT tubes and maybe when the elrog 2a3 comes out...

After a lot of searching, meets, loaners, auditions i was able to find the new production globe 2a3 power tubes and 5842 drivers with the sound i am looking for and verify it on my other amp. One day hopefully, they will extend the same courtesy to a 45 tube productline and i could try those without building another amp :). It's very difficult to find CC or HFAC DHT heated 45 or 2a3 amp builds that work for both headphone (hd600) AND high efficiency horns.

I love the relatively flat FR extension of the 2a3 tube and it has a little more weight than 45s. You can make them sound tubey or almost SS depending on how you build it, dry or wet (i prefer right in the middle neutral with maybe very slight wetness mMm Ericsson 417a). With the right tubes and setup they can approach 45's speed and nuance with more power and weight behind it. The good and usually $ 2a3 tubes sound like 45 ime.

It'll be a mockup with other spare parts on a PCB holder i can see how it sounds before i encase and put in better beewax and tantulum components. Going to choke it with a C14X to start. Still waiting on a AVC volume controller and heatsink for the default VDC DHT heater.

bhFGxKfm.jpg

Fn19JyTm.jpg

CC+V DHT heater modules
tqbKU6Um.jpg

Stranded Silver Output Transformers
Rw0QyRIm.jpg

If the concepts of the TSE work out, i would consider rebuilding the whole thing point to point with a dual B+ PSU and 866a rects to match or best the other amp. I'm aiming for less compromised bass performance (without using FB/tertiary FB) offered by fixed bias design and hopefully can match or exceed the dynamics and nuance of the other amp. Makin amps are like box of chocolates..

thinking of a PSU that looks like the Pmillet one
qYT2AvHl.png

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.