Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddduke68 View Post
Outputs transformers
Yellow speaker positive
White speaker negative
Blue T-2 position 3, with jump wire attached to pos 2
Red to T-2 position 1
White Blue not used.
Sorry for all the questions, I'm colorblind. Will be having my son help with colors, just need to know I have a solid plan in place.
Yellow and white, correct.

See attached, a flipped version of George's standard triode connected diagram (because your terminals are on the bottom of the board). Hopefully this will remove all doubt about which terminals to connect the red and blue wires & jumper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSE_grounding_1.jpg (32.9 KB, 130 views)
Old 2nd January 2021, 12:57 AM   #12
daviddduke68 is offline daviddduke68  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your help! Looks like you saved me from a big error. What a mess of wires. Plan on wiring it up on Monday. I'll post pictures. Thanks again.
Old 2nd January 2021, 01:01 AM   #13
cogitech is online now cogitech  Canada
diyAudio Member

Duke's Build Thread
No worries. Good luck!
Old 2nd January 2021, 07:52 AM   #14
ahankinson is offline ahankinson  Europe
diyAudio Member

1st image, lower-left next to the big cap looks like a cold joint in the making? Personally, I would probably try to cover the pads with solder, maybe even on both sides, just to ensure everything is well-connected.

In following the various build threads here, one of the most common problems for first-time builders is a cold joint somewhere causing various amounts of smoke, noise, and hum, and no shortage of deflated excitement for first power-up!

Also, maybe a q-tip to remove the excess heat compound. That stuff gets everywhere if you're not careful!

Last edited by ahankinson; 2nd January 2021 at 07:55 AM.
Old 2nd January 2021, 12:37 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I see that bad joint now, will take another try at it, before I start to wire it up. Thanks for taking a look!
Old 2nd January 2021, 05:33 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Duke's Build Thread
That bad/cold joint is not a joint at all. It is one end of R1, which isn't even installed (and doesn't need to be if a choke is used).
Old 2nd January 2021, 05:53 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Oh I remember that one. First part soldered, and it was in the wrong spot.
Old 5th January 2021, 06:05 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Progress today. Wired up the irons. Had to extend the red and red/black wire. Triple checked that they are correctly wired into the board, and that no wires were poking thru heat shrink. Also attaching grounds to star ground point using a bolt from the power transformer. So far have grounded the negative speaker terminals, choke, plate that rca inputs are attached to. Working on the signal input wiring now, and if time hooking up the power side. Getting anxious to see if it works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210105_094236.jpg (943.1 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 20210105_094752.jpg (989.0 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 20210105_094259.jpg (988.2 KB, 84 views)
Old 5th January 2021, 06:25 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Duke's Build Thread
Great progress! Everything looks exactly right so far.

Just a few things I would point out.

- It's a really good idea to tin all the wire ends that you are screwing into the board terminals. It will prevent pieces from breaking off and creating short circuits. Honestly it is worth the time/effort to do it. You will almost certainly be wiring this up more than once (I've done mine about 8 times now!). Keep them flat and take it easy on the solder, though. Otherwise they'll be too fat to get two of them into one terminal (like the blue jumper on the OPT connection, for example).

- The Yellow wire extension appears to be a significant gauge reduction from the original from the PT - or is it just much thinner insulation?

- T2-Sec and T3-Sec need jumpers.

- Did you grind some paint off one foot of each of the OPTs and PT so that their chassis are grounded to the top plate?

Last edited by cogitech; 5th January 2021 at 06:28 PM.
Old 6th January 2021, 02:28 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

The yellow wire is a reduction, its 20 gauge. I do have bits of wire I can use from trimming the wires on the output. Was not happy how that turned out, will replace with some of the bits I've cut off. Will go thru and tin the ends to the board as well.

I forgot the jumpers on T2 and T3. That would not have ended well!

I used grounding washers, and ground off paint on one corner of each transformer. Ran a ground to the mounting screw for the Choke, will do the same for the Cap. There is a huge nut on the end of the cap, will find a ring that fits it, and solder a strap to it. Used some aluminum to mount the RCA's to the wood chassis, the aluminum has been grounded, but the RCA's are insulated. Will add a ground to one side of the RCA jacks. I am using the 20 gauge wire for grounding straps, do you think that is to thin?
I can't imagine rewiring 8 times! I'm struggling with the first time, but learning along the way. Everything isnt turning out as neat and tidy as I pictured, can see myself going thru it and making it right. Struggled with wiring diagrams, but think I've figured it out. This color blind thing was getting in the way, so many of the colors look the same to me. Had to print everything out and have someone label them for me.

Thanks again for looking at it for me.

Duke's Build ThreadHide this!Advertise here!