• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

SSE what Cartridge for turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok I'm still working on my SSE saving money for Trannys, (edcor power, XPWR222, Edcor Opt's, GXSE15-5K), I have Tung Sol reissue EL34B's to start with. Just picked up a Dual 1019 TT, I'm in process of cleaning and lubing, and trying to decide on a Cartridge looking @ Ortofon 2M red, Grado Blue3, or Nagaoka MP-110, I've built a Hagerman Bugle 2 MM. any opinions on Carts?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Congrats on the new (to you) TT. I have no opinion on carts, but my dad's 1229 had a Shure in it. Can't remember the model number. It sounded fantastic. I still can't believe he let it go for peanuts at a garage sale... I would pay a lot of money for the teak wood beauty and amazing sound of that TT now.

Reactions: 1 user
Account Closed
Joined 2018
The Dual 1019's an old bugger, I did a complete restoration on one for my neighbor about 3 years ago.
I installed an Audio Technica AT-95E in it, and it sounded very good.
Shure's out of the cartridge business now, so is Stanton/Pickering, so replacement styli are only 3rd party generics now.

vinylkid58 sounds nice
wiseoldtech ya thats why I'm looking at others, AT's are good but they don't fit for me just a thing like, chevy ford dodge and foreign, we all like some better than others thats why I'm building a tube amp it fits for me even though I've only had SS since 70's.

Over the years, I've had a lot of Dual tables. My first was a 1218 bought mail order, still have it somewhere...I wanted the 1219 back then, but couldn't quite afford it. Now I have a 1229 daily driver, with several Shures mounted on different cartridge sleds. Have always liked the M91 carts, but the V15-III is a nice one also. The current styli available are generic, but some will come really close in performance to the originals. Seems like the hardest thing to determine is who is actually manufacturing them. If you can trust the stated origin that sellers claim, the Japanese ones are likely made by Jico. Others can be Swiss-made, it's a crap shoot. I've had good luck with the ones that come in the EVG (Russell) packaging.

I have two 1019s waiting to be cleaned up, one needs an idler wheel. Several 1219s in pieces; a working 1249 that's a nice player, also 721 direct drive, etc. They all sound good. But there's something great about the 1019! It's a clunky looking thing, but if you get one set up well they're amazing! Heaviest platter of all the Dual idler drives, although it's not the largest diameter. One thing about the 1019, the cartridge sled is a different design, and can be trouble in the wiring between the arm head and the cartridge connectors. There are a couple sellers of reproduction sleds out there, and recently one has been offering an injection molded replacement that I've found to be a good fit. The other, 3D-printed one can be sort of hit or miss in quality. Original sleds can be made to work, but it's tedious.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
nice ya I just learned about duals wish I had known about them in mid 70s when I was a teen of course at that time car stereos were more important to me and my firebird and girls.

In 1974, as the ripe old age of 21, I purchased a Dual 1229 turntable
*$199.95

-optional extras-
Walnut base - $30
Dust cover - $30
Shure V13 type2 improved - $64
45RPM stacker spindle adapter - $6.50

Total cost = $330.95 + tax

At that time however, I was working in an audio salon, and knew the value of such equipment.
Had the Dual up to 1983, when my first apartment got robbed.
Man was I pissed!:eek:

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.